Undocumented feature - Space Heater

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by eAspenwood, Dec 9, 2005.

1. eAspenwood macrumors member

I find that a chilly day outside, like between 30 - 50 degrees Farenheit is the perfect temperature range for the G5 to comfortably heat up my small office. A really cold day, like below 20 degrees, is just too cold for it to keep up. Perhaps I need to upgrade to a quad.

After cursing the G5 under my desk all summer long for giving me SLS (Sweaty Leg Syndrome), I now am reaping the full benefits of a G5. Kudos to Apple for thinking of us in these cold winter months by providing this great feature.

Now, if I could just get that cup holder to stay put...

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

too funny... it really gets *that* hot though?

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Ditto. My office connects to an uninsulated storage closet and gets quite hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. My G5 feels especially nice when deflected against the wall toward me.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

WTF is sweaty leg syndrome, I dont believe I have ever sweat to the point my legs sweat.

my feet, behind my knee, maybe, but my leg? wow.

5. cubist macrumors 68020

I move to a different desk area in the summer. You could try that. You'll need a DVI extension cable, etc.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In our little corner of the office there's a noticeable and oppressive micro-climate produced by 3 x dual 2.5s, 2x733 Quicksilvers and 1x dual 1.25 G4 plus 4x22" monitors and assorted printers, scanners and peripherals.

Everybody who comes up here remarks on how warm it is and that's with the air-con on... in the winter. We also have a few fans to stir the air up as well and I have a small desk one to keep me cool... particularly when I'm getting cross with internal clients. :)

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah but my hard drive is below 50 F. :eek:

10. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

We have 4 g5's in the room I work in and NO windows. Gets VERY TOASTY.

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

It seems that every winter the Graphic's Labs in the Art building are very cold, especially with G5's. And in the Summer the room is uncomfortably hot.

But that is nothing compared to the fact that the photography darkroom is right above the G5 lab and a few years ago there was a leak from the pips. So, some genius decided to use some pipes and just divert the flow to the outside. You can still see the pipes used. Also, there is a very high pitched, ear ringing, sound emitted from the giant machinery hanging from the ceiling. At times even headphones can't block the noise.

12. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd