Unearthing Democratic Root to Halliburton Flap

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Frohickey, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Unearthing Democratic Root to Halliburton Flap

Truly there is nothing new under the sun. In recent months Democrats have been bleating about fat Iraq construction contracts going to Halliburton, about Halliburton's ties to the administration because Vice President Cheney happened to run the company just before taking his current job and a shocking GOP tendency to help contributors.

These are all coincidences, but some critics have even called for an independent investigation into Houston-based Halliburton.

It should be clear that these odd coincidences are not something invented by Republicans. They are a venerable tradition. During the Vietnam War, for example, members of Congress were ripping into the Johnson administration for taking contributions from Brown & Root Inc., now part of Halliburton, and its supposedly cushy construction contracts in Vietnam.

One courageous House member even took the floor to question the "30-year association, personal and political, between Lyndon B. Johnson as congressman, senator, vice president and president" and the company's chairman, George R. Brown of Houston, who "had contributed $23,000 to the President's Club while the Congress was considering" whether to continue another multimillion-dollar Brown & Root project. (Club membership could be bought for $1,000 in those days, the equivalent of a whopping $6,000 today.)

The House member recounted "a particularly flagrant example of improper federal secrecy [in] the refusal of the National Science Foundation to disclose the facts and figures of the initial award of the . . . contract" to Brown & Root, according to an August 1966 Congressional Record spotted by Harper's.

Something, the outraged House member said, had to be done. "Only a full investigation of the President's Club and any possible connection with government contracts can supply the answers to the questions raised. Only prompt passage of election reform legislation can help avoid such concern in the future."

And while the modern cry is for appointment of a special prosecutor, the House member then said "only . . . an investigating committee controlled by the minority [Republicans] can assure vigorous investigation" of all this.

Sound crazy? Not at all, he said. "The House of Commons in Great Britain has such a committee controlled by the minority," and a "Republican administration and a Republican Congress appointed a Democratic senator to investigate the Teapot Dome scandal. It is not a new idea," he insisted.

The Democrats weren't buying it. And the House member, Donald H. Rumsfeld (R-Ill.), moved on to other things.

Let's see. President Bush appoints a Democratic senator to investigate? Would have to be someone known to be above the partisan fray. Got it. How about Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.)?

--------------------------

Wow. No wonder the opposition party is hell bent on getting this Halliburton deal looked at.... good for the goose, good for the gander. I bet ol' Rummy is not too surprised.

2. wwworry macrumors regular

You keep posting these crap senarios. Where do you find them?

There is no call for Hillary Clinton to lead an investigation into Chaney's Haliburton ties (except perhaps by you so you can gloat). You bring up the House of Commons in England and say something like that will probably happen here?? You apologize for Cheney by relating a story about LBJ. That does not hold water.

And to call the contracts with Halliburton, who routinely overcharges the government, a coincidence is like saying it's a coincidence that when I let go of a glass, it falls. These were no-bid contracts.

Let see, I suppose we can start categorising typical GOP scare tactics.

Scare people with Hillary Clinton.
    Mention past alleged Democrat indiscretion
    Predict a slippery slope.
    Any opposition is weak on terror or supports Hussein
    Make up a rumor of sexual indiscretion
    use the internet to spread false stories, by the time the facts are checked nobody cares and it's time to spread a new lie.
    PROFIT!

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah Frohickey, you're right. If everyone does it, then why get upset? It's not like there's anything we can do about it.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Let me see if I've got this right: Dick Cheney is a closet Democrat, he was never the CEO of Halliburton, which was not awarded non-bid contracts in Iraq, and they never overcharged the government. So, am I Republican yet?

5. numediaman macrumors 6502a

This is not a news story -- it is a political column by Al Kamen. Gees, at least you could have labelled it right.

6. wwworry macrumors regular

That has to be the stupidest column I have read in a long time.

7. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did not write the article. If you had followed the link, you would have been brought to the website of the Washington Post.

Last I read, the Washington Post is not really a compendium of right-wing thought.

If you have any beef with the post, take it up with the Washington Post, but I would have to give the benefit of the doubt to the article and the Washington Post as to the historical accuracy of the events written.

8. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did I ever say it was a news story?

I don't hear a mea culpa coming from numediaman. ;)

9. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats the problem. Dick Cheney is the ex-CEO of Halliburton. Ex-CEO. As in, he doesn't work there anymore. As in, he sold a large portion, if not all, of his Halliburton shares prior to the 2000 election. If anything, he probably does not like the fact that Halliburton does business with the federal government and would probably love it if Halliburton does not. That way, he can get the monkey off his back.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

they're generally pretty conservative, and until only very recently supported just about everything bush did (including the war). i put them somewhere on par w/ the WSJ, both of which are more moderate than, say, the Washington Times.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

zimv20, I know what you're getting at. The Washington Post is hardly a left-wing newspaper in any radical sense, but still, generally it does support the Democrat line. It's nowhere near as bad as the Washington Times though, which has no semblence of journalistic integrity.

12. wwworry macrumors regular

You posted this, Frohickey, so at least back it up. and if Cheney is so hot to get rid of Halliburton then why does he continue to award them no-bid contracts? Dubious speculation.

Even the NYTimes has right-wing editorials. It's not the newspaper that I think is stupid. It's the stupidity in the article. And yes, Cheney is still getting money from his time at Halliburton.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I see, Dick Cheney doesn't know anyone at Halliburton anymore. They refuse to take his calls and pretend not to recognize him at parties. That's what happens when a CEO becomes Vice President. Hey, I'm really starting to feel like a Republican now!

14. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Who cares if Johnson had ties to a company that got cushy contracts. Really. It was wrong then and it is wrong now. Historical precedent is only a valid arguement in the courtroom. The lemming defense, ie. well he gave out cushy contracts, so why can't I, is not a good one. Might as well say well Hitler invaded Poland because the poles were a threat to germans everywhere, so we should invade Iraq cause they are a threat to americans. (Note: I am not saying this is what Bush did, it is just an example of the faulty logic in the artical above.)

15. Frohickey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Historical precedent also shows that then-congressman Rumsfeld moved on after Democrats in the House committee didn't buy it.