Unemployment makers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, May 31, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Link

I know sony has had some limited success, but am not aware of a big market yet. This seems interesting, I would rather have one at a fast food drive thru than the usual person there.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

See "needs to loose some weight" post.

I can comment, because I too, am portly!

3. iGary Guest

iGary

This reminds me of the debut of the A318:

Pilot: we're doing a slow speed flyover.

Plane: no you're not, you're landing, the gear is down.

Pilot: um, no, I need power get me the eff out of here.

Plane: sorry, I know better than you, we're landing.

*smash*

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Japan typically is quite robot-fanatic, so that doesn't mean there's a market yet in the rest of the world. But there already are robots that help old people in their households, e.g. get drinks, open doors etc. They are still too expensive, but the early bird catches the worm, so whoever starts with doing it right, might be the new industry leader of an industry that doesn't exist today...

5. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Oh yea. oopps.

soon I will go postal defensive, "I'm mad as h3ll and I'm not going to take it anymore!" :mad:

Felt good saying that. Maybe coffee and a triscuit for Bfst instead of omlet, sausage, bacon, pancakes, and robot made freedom toast.
    :D

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Not totally hijack this thread, but FBO food will kill ya for sure. ;)

7. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

$.60 at a time. :p

I just eat out of the snack drawer in the jet. Get sodas/water from it when I need to, M&M's too.

Probably foods made by robots.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A robot is fine at manufacturing. Can also see them at a fast food restaurant. Don't think a robot could do child care or nursing. The personal touch will be needed well into the future.

9. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I don't approve of robots for nursing/childcare. Robots for drive-thru is fine, would be like going to a more complicated vending machine. I don't think that it's a good idea, though, to dehumanize the process of cultivating young minds to become human.

10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I don't get it?
    Fewer births, less children - so more robots for child care? Eh?
    Surely you need more robots for geriatric care? :confused:
    I guess they both require changing nappies, dribbling etc. though :eek: ;)

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL...this thread would be remiss without a reference to Ryoujin Z.... there was actually a Japanese animated movie that was specifically about the bad things that could happen if a robot took on a nursing home role. :) Actually, though, in the robot's defense, it tried to do something for the person that she really wanted but none of the human nurses realized she wanted. :rolleyes:

I'm not holding my breath at childcare by robots.... Much more likely is continued automation of home tasks to let humans devote their efforts to each other.

But also in terms of the manufacturing floor, Honda and Toyota have both, AFAIK, held for a long time to the perspective that there are right and wrong places for robots on the mfg. floor, and that they need to be drawn in by quality concerns and not cost concerns. And also their long term strategy is local manufacturing, and these robots are a solution for the Japanese economy and not anyone else's, so it's unlikely that it'll really lead to job loss.

But I wonder... Japan's response to their aging population is so much in the way of retrenchment...sometimes I feel like their strategic response to changes in their demographics is to let their culture implode.... :(

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i was showing my science teacher a video of Honda's ASIMO robot shaking a woman's hand and he remarked that it's really amazing it knows how to shake her hand without crushing it. imagine if a robot was caring for an infant and its sensors went wacky and it inadvertently killed it :eek: if i ever have children i don't want robots taking care of them. i like robots, but they have their place and this isn't it.

13. fox2005 macrumors member

Imagine that robot running on Longhorn Robot version :eek:

The consecuences of this could make this thread interesting... :rolleyes:

14. angelneo macrumors 68000

I would then wonder how many days of sick leave would that robot take.

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    What about a robotic wet nurse?

Oh, the possibilities

16. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

In The Year 2525

Visage - In The Year 2525

In the year of 2525
    If man is still alive
    If woman can survive
    They may find

In the year of 3535
    Can't tell the truth, can't tell no lie
    Everything you think, do and say
    Is in the pill you took today

In the year of 4545
    Won't need no teeth ,won't need your eyes
    Won't find a thing to do
    Nobody's gonna look at you

In the year of 5555
    Your arms are hanging limp at your side
    Your legs have nothing to do
    Some machines doin' that for you

In the year of 6565
    Won't need no husband, won't need no wife
    You'll pick your sons, pick your daughters too
    From the bottom of a long glass tube wouwo

In the year of 7510
    If god is commin' he should make it by then
    Maybe he'll look around and say:
    "Now it's time for the judgement day!"

In the year of 8510
    God is gonna shake his mighty hand
    He'll leave a salient place where man has been
    Or tear it down and start again wouwo

In the year of 9595
    I'm wondering if man is gonna be alive
    He's taken everything earth had to give
    And he's put back nothing wouwo

Now it's been 10.000 years man has cried a million tears
    For what he never knew now man's dream is through
    But through eternal light the twinklin' of starlight
    So very far away now it's night to yesterday

17. dvdiva macrumors member

I don't think robots can compete with illegal immigants on cost. Japan has a problem with illegal immigants from china (although nowhere close to the us-mexico problem) and in the US rich people hire illegals rather than US citizens so as to pay below minimum wage for jobs. It would be hard to justify the cost of a robot compared to minimum wage or less.

18. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

robots won't steal from you or kidnap your kids, unless they get a virus to do so..........hmmmmmmmmm

19. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Don't worry only %93 of the population of robots can get viruses. ;)

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A child needs the bonding with its mother. The warmth and hearing the human heart beating is very comforting to the infant. Reminds the infant of time spent in the womb and security.

21. crowndiva macrumors newbie

Robots taking care of our elderly and kids!
    WHAT THE F! IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??

Have our parents and grandparents really become such a burden on us in their eldrely years that we can can take care of them on their way out as they have done for us on our way in!?
    How selfishly disgusting...You have served yor purpose to bring me into this world, you burden me with your age and ailments, so BE GONE OLD FART!

Robots raising babies? !@#$%^
    Why have kids at all then? If you want to bypass the diapers and stuff... ADOPT !

having a dog too much responsibility, Try the robo pooch from Sony!
    WHAT THE F!@#$%^& is WRONG with US! :mad: :mad: :mad:

22. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you understand anything at all about changing demographics in Japan, or is this just a completely incoherent rant?

24. crowndiva macrumors newbie

Fine, then they should strike up a media blitz trying to recruit people from the neighboring countries or offer incentives for Jap. citizens to help out in the healthcare system.
    I dont care what the demographics are, ROBOTS taking care of people!
    PPPPPPPP :p NO!

25. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Dude... it just doesn't make sense to manufacture in the US anymore. Oil prices are so high and employing people to work the machinery would just be WAITING for someone to hurt themselves, then sue the company for millions of dollars.
    Manufacturing in other countries (read: china) makes more sense. With the rate at which they peg the Yuan (and will most probably continue to do), it is much cheaper to import products from China. The only way I can see China un-pegging the Yuan is when they finally realize that their economy is being hurt because they are artificially growing faster because of being tied to the US economy, which can grow at a faster rate because we are more well-established.

Aggghhhh and the title of this thread bothers me, too. They aren't trying to make unemployment, it's just part of the unemployment cycle. It's called structural unemployment and happens all the time. It's just like the industrial revolution, but on a smaller scale. A few robots to replace a few healthcare workers would not make that big of an impact. They'd most probably just be dispensing medicines. Robots can't replace nurses anytime soon. They lack the cognitive abilities that a human does. (well, in the meantime, anyway)

agghhhh

--sorry, I really REALLY miss Fed Challenge, and the economy gets me worked up to no end.--