Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmanmatty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
(x,y)
I am buying a 4th gen 40gb ipod with smothing on the back I would like to get rid of. Is this possible? Would steel wool do it? Can I simpily buy a new back cover plate? Do I need a high powered lazer? Is it utterly hopeless.

Any help would be appreacted

Thanks

MaCMAnMaTTy

C

CompUser

I don't really think there is an easy solution. Steel wool would just scratch the heck out of it.

Put a sticker over it maybe?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Buy IceCreme M and use the "RTMWSF06" promo code at checkout by tomorrow, Jan. 31 to get 30% off.

Use steel wool to try to obliterate the engraving, then use Ice Creme to undo the damage.

It won't be perfect, but it might be good enough.

Or just get a shiny mylar patch and glue it over the engraving.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
Search for "brushed ipod" on the forums and you'll find something you're looking for. Basically, you get a pack of those green pads for washing dishes and rub the back of the iPod for an hour or so, and if you go for longer you can get rid of all the writing and have a smooth matte finish.

Luvinia Krista

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2008
I am planning to get the ipod nano 8g and i had the ipod mini 4g before. I had the mini for 2yrs and someone i know thinks that that is a very short time for someone to have an ipod or mp3 player. I think that 2 yrs is pretty long for an ipod. How long is an ipod mini supposed to last when used daily and frequently?

maestrocasa

macrumors regular
steel wool will scratch the whole thing to pieces.

I would take it too someplace that does engraving and get a 'coverup' (like you did with that tattoo that had your ex-girlfriend's name in it)

I took my old iPod to a kiosk in the mall that sold gifts and jewelry and did engravings. they put my name on the iPod for 10 bucks. you could probably get your engraving covered for a similar price.

good luck

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
You could just buy a brand new rear panel for the iPod from iFixit for $30.

EDIT: Oh ****, this is a two year old thread!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am planning to get the ipod nano 8g and i had the ipod mini 4g before. I had the mini for 2yrs and someone i know thinks that that is a very short time for someone to have an ipod or mp3 player. I think that 2 yrs is pretty long for an ipod. How long is an ipod mini supposed to last when used daily and frequently?
This 3-year-old thread was about removing an engraving. If you use MRoogle to search the forums before posting, you can find more appropriate threads or find your answers.
steel wool will scratch the whole thing to pieces.
This thread is 3 years old.... they're probably not paying attention anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.