unengraving an ipod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by macmanmatty, Jan 30, 2006.

1. macmanmatty macrumors regular

I have calculated my velocity so precisely that a
    I am buying a 4th gen 40gb ipod with smothing on the back I would like to get rid of. Is this possible? Would steel wool do it? Can I simpily buy a new back cover plate? Do I need a high powered lazer? Is it utterly hopeless.

Any help would be appreacted

Thanks

MaCMAnMaTTy

2. CompUser Guest

I don't really think there is an easy solution. Steel wool would just scratch the heck out of it.

Put a sticker over it maybe?

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Buy IceCreme M and use the "RTMWSF06" promo code at checkout by tomorrow, Jan. 31 to get 30% off.

Use steel wool to try to obliterate the engraving, then use Ice Creme to undo the damage.

It won't be perfect, but it might be good enough.

Or just get a shiny mylar patch and glue it over the engraving.

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Buy a dead iPod from eBay and swap the back case out. :cool:

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Assuming it's not beat to hell already... you can never be too sure of that.

6. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Search for "brushed ipod" on the forums and you'll find something you're looking for. Basically, you get a pack of those green pads for washing dishes and rub the back of the iPod for an hour or so, and if you go for longer you can get rid of all the writing and have a smooth matte finish.

7. Luvinia Krista macrumors newbie

I am planning to get the ipod nano 8g and i had the ipod mini 4g before. I had the mini for 2yrs and someone i know thinks that that is a very short time for someone to have an ipod or mp3 player. I think that 2 yrs is pretty long for an ipod. How long is an ipod mini supposed to last when used daily and frequently?

8. maestrocasa macrumors regular

steel wool will scratch the whole thing to pieces.

I would take it too someplace that does engraving and get a 'coverup' (like you did with that tattoo that had your ex-girlfriend's name in it)

I took my old iPod to a kiosk in the mall that sold gifts and jewelry and did engravings. they put my name on the iPod for 10 bucks. you could probably get your engraving covered for a similar price.

good luck

9. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

You could just buy a brand new rear panel for the iPod from iFixit for $30.

EDIT: Oh ****, this is a two year old thread!

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This 3-year-old thread was about removing an engraving. If you use MRoogle to search the forums before posting, you can find more appropriate threads or find your answers.
    This thread is 3 years old.... they're probably not paying attention anymore.