Uneven Keys on Keyboard

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kanpachi, Mar 24, 2005.

1. kanpachi macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2005
    I was wondering if anyone else had problems on their PowerBook where the keys on their keyboard were uneven. My F7 key looks like its about to fall off, and a bunch of the other keys look like they aren't very securely fastened. They look like they are attached with Elmer's glue or something because the keys all make angles with one another (a good keyboard would have no angle with one another and would be flat). Also, when I depress some keys, it makes this loud clicking noise that sounds like the keys are going to break off the keyboard. I just bought this PB about 3 weeks ago and I have treated it extremely well. Would appreciate some input, thanks.
  2. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    you might just have to get used to them. I had a sony viao before my PB, and the keys on the sony were very soft and thin. When I used the PB for the first time it felt like I was typing on building blocks that were too loud and clunky. But now, they're perfect and feel so natural.

Or, your PB could have slipped through the cracks and is messed up.

if you live near an Apple store, check out the PB keys there and compare. If you're are extremely different, take it back to the store.
  3. john1123 macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2005
    Down Under
    my mum had the same problem with her ibook. there was something wrong with the keyboard cable, which pushed up the keys. apple replaced it for free & fast
  4. mleok macrumors member

Jan 12, 2005
    La Jolla, CA
    I've always found the Powerbook keyboards to be excellent. In particular, the uneven keys really sound off-spec, and should probably be checked out. Perhaps posting a photo of the offending function key might help people to determine if you have a defective keyboard.
  5. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    I actually have the F7 deal as well... The key is higher than other keys. I've been told previously on this board by a few people that their PB is the exact same.