unexpected kernal trap?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cb911, Jul 3, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

this has happened to me twice today. i was just sitting at my TiBook going about my business- on the net, watching a DVD etc., when everything just froze.
    both times it happened some text came up on the left side of the screen. i can only remember the first and last lines. the first line of text said: 'unexpected kernal trap' and the last line said something like 'waiting for remote connection debugging'. another thing that stood out to me was something in the middle that said 'REMOVE_PPC'.

the first time it happened i had to shut down by holding the power button. i started up in about 1 minute later and everything looked to be fine.

the second time it happened i had to do the same thing: shut down by holding the power button. except the second time i was fed up with it so i watched TV for about an hour. then i started it up and i just opened Internet Explorer and it's like all my prefrences have been wiped. i had the IE buttons and stuff coloured green, and now they are blue. then when i went to start this thread it asked for my password, every other time it hasn't (could my cookies have been wiped as well?)

has anyone heard of anything like this happening? do you think this is serious enough to call Apple?

this is the only problem i've had since i got my TiBook about 4 months ago, and now would be a really bad time for it to get wrecked, i've got to go back to college next week...:(

edit> i just thought i had better mention that the first time it froze i was using Toast and IE, textedit & some other stuff.
    the second time i was ripping a DVD and had IE, textedit and Photoshop open.
    also, anyone who can help me rip a DVD.... IM me. i'm on AIM: mugget4130

2. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

come on, no one knows anything about this?

all you Unix people out there must at least able to explain what happened, or even why it happened?:confused: