Unexpected outcome: Please read.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by EGT, Apr 2, 2004.

1. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Interesting Topic: Listen in :eek:

Just over 2 weeks ago i placed an order for a powerbook but i accidentally placed it from the Irish site (browser went to it automatically) when it was to be delivered to an address in the UK. I'm living in S. Ireland temporarily but work N Ireland (UK).

A day later i received an email from apple saying the order was cancelled because it was placed on the wrong site and they gave me a direct link to the UK site. I then went and re-ordered my powerbook. The next day i rang apple to confirm the first order was cancelled and they said it had and the second order was waiting to be shipped. After 2 or 3 days the second order arrived but some software was missing (Office and Adobe acrobat, ordered with the 2nd powerbook) I rang up apple, again and the guy said it was unusual for an order to be sent out in 2 parts, normally, its all together.

I went into work today and to my SURPRISE!!! :eek: Yep!!! The FIRST powerbook i ordered was sitting there ALONG with the software missing from the second order!!! + everything that was meant to come with the first order.

The Apple store did send a confirmation saying the first order was cancelled ..... so.... what do i do!?!?!
    :(

Thanks

2. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

The powerbook is fantastic btw. Im in love!!!

Im going to be really fe*ked off if apple release a new powerbook soon! :rolleyes:

3. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Take the high road... give it to a PC user.
    No, give it back.
    I ordeed a NetShelter server enclosure and they sent 2 by mistake. Oh, how I wanted it! I called and they had no record of two. Guess what? I told them to invoice me for the second one.
    It feels good to be good.

5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

back around 96 my friends powerbook 5300cs was on the fritz. he had sent it in to be fixed twice already. by the time they got it back to him the 1400 series was out. he used the 5300 for 2 or 3 weeks and it had a new issue with a cracked case (very small though). he contacted them and said how it was still working fine but that the case had a small crack in it.

3 days later a brand new 1400cs showed up at his door. he got to keep the 5300cs also. I guess they felt sending it in a 3rd time was overkill and they chose to just say "here, have a new one"

this story just reminded me of having more than you paid for :)

6. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

Did they charge you for both of them? Send one to me if they didn't...i'll send it back to apple for you. :D

7. portent macrumors 6502a

8. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Send it back

They should give you some free stuff for your kindness. iPod or software, something like that.

Talk to Apple first to find out how to go about sending it back. They might even say keep it. If so, give it to someone that could use it but can't afford even the cheapest PC. Meaning someone's kid where the family barely gets by.

9. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Boy, that's a tough one!

The decision would be totally up to your values....

If it were me, I'd have to be honest and say that I'd probably keep it unopened for a month or so....to see if Apple realized their mistake...if they didn't come looking for it, I'd keep it. I know it wouldn't be 'the right thing to do', but I don't think that any Apple employee will starve because a PB got 'lost'....heck, it ~could~ be DOA! Would I be proud of this action? No, but I could see myself living with the decision. ;)

10. glosterseagul macrumors regular

hmmmm, Would I contact apple?.....the only isuue is when you return it if it doesn't exist how can they book it back in?

Keep it for a while and see... but my bet is they will realise their error. :(

My vote? after all that, return it :cool:

on the other hand.....

11. Xacttech macrumors member

That's CRAZY!!!

I just ordered a Powerbook, and they said that according to their records it was shipped to the UK!!! They said there was some form of mix up and they were going to try and track it down... CRAZY!! Glad I found you...

Anyway, you can just ship it to... :D

You know you want to :)

If it makes you feel better I had the opposite happen... I ordered a computer, and the kid skipped town, cancelled his phone number he gave me etc. But The police "say" they have a suspect... Imma hoping...

12. mikepctp macrumors member

Congratulations on your new twins!

The world works in strange ways sometimes...

:D MP

13. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

It's still here. Unopened. And i'm still two minds about what to do. Most likely I will send it back.

One powerbook is enough i think! :rolleyes:

(Loving the backlit keyboard!!! :cool: )

14. arsbanned macrumors newbie

It's not as though they're not going to charge you for it. Keep it, and pay for 2. OR send one back. ?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You should contact them and send it back. It's just the right thing to do. The fact that you asked publicly makes me think you at least have some sort of a conscience. I know you're tempted to keep it, who wouldn't be. But you know you can't. It just wouldn't be right.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

Actually, Apple has to do that by law. If the machine is still under warranty and its been fixed at least 2 or 3 times, on the 3rd or 4th repair request, Apple has to give you a new one. I forget what the law's called, but its out there :p

18. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Isn't it the lemon law?

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

basically, yeah, but specifically which one i dont remember

20. i_wolf macrumors regular

well if i were you... i would open both and test bothh for dead pixels. worst case scenario you should be able to take the one with the best screen!
    The same thing happened to me. We were sent out 2 dual G5 2GHz. one had to go back... but i gotta admit there was a tiny bit of temptation there... ever so slight that worst case scenario i was tempted to raid the excess ram in one of them for the other... ;) but i didn't i was good. sent it all back!

21. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Yep, good idea to send it back. Karma/conscience, or what have you. I have a funny feeling that this will only help you LATER on down the road :)

22. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I wouldn't want bad Apple karma.... I mean thats just asking for trouble. I would hope Apple would send you something in return for being honest. Maybe iLife 04, Keynote, a wireless mouse and or Keyboard...something. Not that you deserve it for doing whats right, but just as a way of saying Thank you. When I was in middle school I found a $100 dollar bill on the floor. I picked it up, and told the teacher the next day. After asking around desretely the teacher told me I could keep it. Good things come to those who are honest.