Unexpectedly, Capitol Hill Democrats Stand Firm

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 24, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I desperately hope so.

I've come to this conclusion of late, too. I would add that I think Frist's nuclear option and Tom DeLay's frightening threats to the judicial system are big factors, too.

I think the Dems are finally, finally, finally doing a gut check. I just hope they don't backslide. They need to stand firm no matter what. They've talked about actually shutting down virtually all cooperation with the Republicans in the Senate if the nuclear option is enacted. They'd better be prepared to stand behind that threat.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Maybe they finally got it through their heads that trying to be cooperative (often to the point of bending over completely) just hasn't worked for them in the past decade.

I hope they finally got it. Grow some balls, guys and gals.

How many times must your enemy beat you over the head with the olive branch you proffer before you wise up?

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Democrats are feeling their oats these days, but it's more a matter of subtraction than addition. The GOP is stumble-drunk with power, leaving the Democrats with an opportunity to jump the low hurdle of passing the sobriety test. That's the easy part. Offering an alternative philosophy of governance to the nation -- that's the tough part, and the part the Democrats have so far failed to accomplish.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Indeed. When Howard Dean became chairman, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi were quick to point out that they, not Dean, would set policy and philosophy for the Democratic party.

We're still waiting.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nancy Pelosi? I've seen wax fruit with more personality. Reid, I just don't know about yet. The jury is out. No doubt, Dean's performance is going to be interesting to watch. As to whether that's a good thing or bad...

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Overreaching authority and abuse of power will be the central themes of Democratic attack between now and Nov. '06. Look to hear those terms an awful lot.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hmm. No sooner do I say that the Democrats have no agenda, then I come across this.

And hmm again. Looks like the Dems haven't been entirely lax since the election. Between this and the threatened slow-down in the Senate, I think we're seeing some well-thought-out strategy here.

In a way, it'll be too bad if the Dems don't go ahead with the above bills. The public reaction would most likely be favorable, which in turn would put the Democrats in a terrific position for 2006. :)