Unexplained lagging and restoring

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iEugene, Mar 1, 2007.

1. iEugene macrumors regular

iEugene

Recently (probably within the last 3 weeks) my iMac (Core Duo) has been acting funky. Normally it took about 30 seconds to boot up, now it is taking about triple the time. At first I thought nothing of it, but it is still bothering me how I use to be able to slightly hear the information being processed when booting up and seeing the spinning circle under the Apple logo, but now I hear a bit of information and then about a minute of silence, then more of the hardrive working, then it's booted.

Another thing I noticed just today, it's probably nothing serious, however I use ClearDock for my dock and totally erase the background of the dock, so today I restart my compter and ClearDock ceased to work. I go back into the options of it, reset it and restart...Works fine. So I powered down the machine and low and behold when I start it up again, ClearDock doesn't work....Any thoughts?

I'm more concerned about the speed thing. Really the only thing that seems to be bugging out is when I boot up or power down. I've only been a Mac user for 11 months, and haven't had this problem....If it's just a normal thing for it to slow down after time or information being on it, then that's just the way it goes, no big deal....I just wanted to make sure that the lagging wasn't something else.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect a corrupted boot cache is the cause of this behavior. However, I don't know how to fix it. Does anyone know of a cache cleaner program (like Onyx - but I don't know if it cleans boot caches)?

3. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

I have no idea how to fix that, the extent of my knowledge goes to running disk utility. Anyone know what to do?

4. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

5. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

6. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

Well since there was no replies, I tried MainMenu myself and tried a "clean user cache" then it said to reboot, I did so, and it took a terribly long amount of time to do so, so I deleted the program.

Seriously, does anyone have a clue has to what could be wrong with this lag? It's bugging the hell out of me.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Try rebooting again. A long reboot is normal after clearing the caches. After that, it'll rebuild the caches and your boot times should improve.

8. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

I've rebooted a couple times, sometimes its worse, sometimes it's better...Should I keep the MainMenu (rather, re-download it) and do a full system "deep clean" that I saw?