"unfair and unrealistic expectations"

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by xelterran, Aug 1, 2002.

1. xelterran macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2001
    http://thesynapseproject.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=27 posted a copy of the e-mail from apple legal heres what it said:

What do you think they mean by "unfair and unrealistic expectations" - could this mean slower than expected powermacs? no quad processors? no 1.4ghz? no DDR RAM???
  2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I think that what it means is that the site (not Apple) could have possible other material on their website submitted by others, claiming certain specs in certain Apple devices/models/etc. that are unrealistic. If this is true, then the site really shouldn't be blamed for that, since it's not their fault users are uploading such info.
  3. xelterran thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2001
    take a look in their forums... i cant find anything else on the site submitted by any users.
  4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Maybe not, but I did notice one user, who brought up a thread in an attempt to discuss the photo, which obviously means it was somewhere on the site.

Besides, whether people uploaded photos or not, I think this is happening to a lot of the sites, including Macrumors. There are a few other places where this has happened, so obviously this is a general message.
  5. xelterran thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2001
    maby, but how many sites are making "unrealistic" predictions - the most "unrealistic" ive heard was 1.6ghz but most rumor sites ive visited are predicting 1.2 - 1.4 ghz with ddr
  6. sjs macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2002
    Don't understand

If these sites were NEWS-type sites, could Apple succeed with their Cease and Desist letters? The NYTimes publishes Pentagon war plans! Web sites can't publish photos?

The real problem here is that the web sites don't have the financial wherewithall to fight Apple. Unless the photos are obtained illegally, which would have to be proven, I'm not sure why they can't just leave them online.
  7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I don't usually visit any rumor sites other than here, so I wouldn't be too sure on this. :p

But I do remember a while back on these forums that someone made a Photoshopped spectacle of a PowerMac with sharper edges (some called it a toaster Mac). The link provided out of Macrumors linked to the Photoshopped picture. I don't remember if the "author" of the image had specs or whatever, but I would guess that in some cases "unrealistic" would refer to the fact that certain pictures would be assumed to be real by some, as with most photos.

Also, remember the Xserve-PowerMac design submitted a while back? The same thing occured there.
  8. zorglub macrumors member

Jan 15, 2002
    Paris France
    we all have interest on mac
    we love and defend mac
    we discuss about what we are expecting from mac
    we are working on macs
    we buy macs

we are unfair...of course...

unfair and unrealistic predictions... no more than the weather channel...
  9. jbmelby macrumors newbie

May 29, 2002
    unfair and unrealistic expectations

There is another explanation that seems far more plausible to me than the others posted here: namely, that this may be just a bit of legalese that constitutes part of a form letter that the Apple legal department sends out with every "cease and desist" order. Should this be the case, then in the present circumstances, the phrase "unfair and unrealistic expectations" probably has no special significance at all.
  10. mcrain macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2002
    What if the rumored date of release is what might cause unreasonable expectations?
  11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Maybe we're just being unfair to expect a slight/major change every year on each computer and a speed bump 6 months later.

Heck we're probably being unfair to Apple when we're expecting them to deliver upgrades to their standardized PC I/O 12-18 months after introduction in the PC world. Like ATA 133/166, DDR 266/333, USB 2.0, etc.

I guess we should expect a speed rollback again this time in order to make it easier for Motorola to meet demand. Just to be fair to Apple and Moronola. :p
  12. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    perhaps, since it may have just been a prototype/test machine, we should not expect the new PM to actually look anything like that. i think actually shipping with a 7lb heatsink is pretty unrealistic. i saw the photos and i don't see Apple releasing that eyesore. they probably have a million different enclosure prototypes.
  13. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Can you imagine if there is a missinformation laboratory working at the basement of Microsoft? A place wher they produce pictures and spread information (like new G5 soon) just to put Apple in to trouble?:eek: :eek: :eek:

I can give you serious real exanples aplied to politics, not computer companies (yet):confused: :D
  14. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    Arent Lawyers supposed to be sharks?

I cant believe that these lawyers have nothing better to do!

All this does is make APPLE look petty and slow witted...

Is it unfair to expect hardware upgrades that were due years ago?
    Hell no!

Is it unfair to have the right of free speech?
    Hell no!

Is it unfair to attempt to gather information to better enable you to make an educated desicion about a future purchase?
    Hell NO!

Is it fair to be on the recieving end of APPLE over reaction?
    HELL no!

What is fair is that APPLE will suffer badly for their recent choices of behavior and the manner that they have been treating the loyal macheads with such foolish agressive ugly overt stupidity.

What the hell are a few pictures and some realistic predictions going to do that is of such horror that they need to bring in lawyers?

People are still going to talk about the PowerMacs, no matter what the lawyers say, People are still going to post pictures until every one that wants to see them has seen them....

This is SO boring and stupid, APPLE should put some effort into the hardware and not harrassing their users!

What APPLE needs is a real leader that understands the situation.
    Jobs has lost touch with what made APPLE great. Its USERS!
  15. Sherman macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    Why should apple really care? Will it affect sales of that new line? No, because we all waited for it like we should.

Is it causing harm to their industry?
    Uhh, no

All we're doing is dissapointing ourselves, and as far as I know apple isn't in the psyciatrist buisness.
  16. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    Re: Arent Lawyers supposed to be sharks?

i've numbered these to make it easy for explaining what we are both saying...

i'm sorry but this post is just ridiculous...

(1) apple is trying to run a legitimate business and make money...rumors are not something people are supposed to believe, but just speculation...apple could decide to just randomly announce new products, or not announce them at all and just post them up on their website. no matter when you buy, your machine will be outdated in under a year, so it really won't matter at all.

(2)apple is just trying to protect people from getting overly-worked up about false new products because once a person sees something and convinces themselves that it will be released and then isn't, they will be very disappointed and then choose to wait even longer and longer to get a new machine or possibly even not get one and buy from a wintel manufacturer. (2.5)apple must bring in the lawyers because IF it is a real photo, then someone has either illegally acquired a machine or else breached a contract signed by them and apple about letting out secure information.

(4)it's users like you who have led apple to losing touch with what apple really made great...the computer industry
  17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I recently saw some of the photos from MacBidouille on eWeek, courtesy of Matthew Rothenberg and Nick DePlume from the ThinkSecret website.

This was not long after the mess about banning the rumour sites' press from MWNY. Matthew and I discussed that it was similar to how they closed down themes after giving users "unrealistic expectations".

I think there's a bit of rebel in Matthew...thank goodness. :)

Perhaps one thing to remember is that Apple is most likely still in court over "unreal expectations" concerning stock prices as people bought stock and things sank after the iMac aged a bit.
  18. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Sep 18, 2001
    Denver, CO
    By "unfair and unrealistic explanations" they mean the following:

Say for example some joker posts a picture on a website that claims to be of a prerelease 4GHz G5. Whether it's genuine or not this causes Apple great difficulties.

In terms of primary impact, people see those pictures and hold off any current purchases. Sales slow, giving Apple less direct revenue. As a secondary effect, the revenue decline drives down Apple's share price, giving them an even weaker capital base.

Then in the next few months after, Apple's loyal customers start saying, "where's my 4GHz G5?" Suddenly it's Apple's fault for not making a machine that never existed or was such an early prototype that they couldn't get it to market for at least another year if at all. The people who waited get all disappointed, lose some measure of faith in Apple, and may consider buying someplace else. This effect is particularly visible in the negativity we've all observed after a Macworld Expo. Gosh, where would Apple ever get the idea that their customers had unrealistic expectations? (hint: they read the forums)

Following the consequence trail further, that lost financial ground impacts Apple's ability to actually develop the cool new hardware we're so antsy to find out about from rumors pages. This translates into slower innovation and loss of technological ground against competitors in the market. This also means a decline in Apple's stock value.

Corporate lawyers can be a little single-minded, but they're not just arbitrarily being mean to website authors. Most corporate lawyers don't have time for that. They're doing the part of their job that involves fending off preventable threats to Apple's success and protecting the shareholders' investment.

Posting one picture (real or not) may not seem to be a big deal, but we've all seen examples of pages that weren't a big deal unexpectedly becoming a VERY big deal and having large-scale effects. Remember Mahir, the "I KISS YOU!" guy? And who do all your base belong to again? The Internet is a huge chaotic system that is really neat to us geeks for the same reason it's really scary to lawyers and corporate types. They can't understand, predict or control it, and trivial things can wind up having unexpectedly wide-ranging effects. And even without that random element, you have to consider the gestalt effect of scores of individually trivial items.

Because it's just the way lawyers operate, they have to set broad policies for how to react to certain types of things, and Apple's lawyers have opted to crack down on rumors. I find it a bit annoying, maybe a bit of overkill, but I understand why they feel it's necessary to do so. They're not doing it because they hate you, I promise. They're doing it because they want to protect the company.