Unfriendly Fire

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Feb 4, 2007.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2005595,00.html
    This needs to be sorted out.

2. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

That's got to be the longest report I've ever read on this board.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Where does the US Military's attitude of 'protecting your own' end and allowing carte blanche killings begin?

4. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

While some incidents of soldiers being killed by their own side is probably inevitable, I can't understand why a proper investigation of such incidents can't be conducted. Perhaps because an inquest would reveal embarrassing lapses of intelligence and training.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's just collateral damage. Right?

We kill innocent Iraqis all the time and barely bat an eyelash as we describe them clinically as "collateral damages". Why should you Brits be any different?

It's not like you're Americans or anything. If you were, then perhaps there'd be a reason to get upset about it.

Remember, 3000 dead Americans > 100,000 dead Iraqis. Never forget.

Besides, being an American means never having to say you're sorry. Everyone else must apologize profusely and make visible amends. If anything, that British kid should apologize to the US pilot for getting in the way of a perfectly good vehicle shelling. Not to mention all the stress he's likely caused that pilot. Practically shameful I tell ya...

:rolleyes:

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

'Friendly fire' video unearthed - BBC

The tape they wanted to hide - The Sun

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

That fact that this was leaked means there's at least one person with a sense of moral responsibility in the US military.By the way trying to view the video crashes Safari for me,it's a plot I tells ya.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Seems like one of the hardest lessons for people to learn is to not go trying to cover up screwups. Screwups are gonna happen, so learn as much as possible about the "why" and work to avoid future repetition.

SFAIK, the worst case of "Friendly Fire"--of which there ain't no of--happened at Anzio, Italy, in 1944 during the landing. The US Navy shot down several C-47s full of paratroopers, mistakenly identifying them as Nazi planes. Since it happened out in front of God and everybody, it couldn't be hushed up.

Seems like CYA is too big a part of all our sub-cultures--military, political, business and personal.

Maybe CYA is a universal constant?

'Rat