Unhappy with iBook from eBay

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Oct 3, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

My friend has bought an iBook from ebay for about $550. Well when we looked over it seemed fine. But when I looked around I noticed a what I would call major crack near the ethernet port. Also the power adaptor shipped with his iBook is totaly UNSAFE looking. It shows the two bare power wires joining into the one small yo-yo adapter power cord- the cord that is inside of the yo-yo adapter. I have made a quick picture just to explain it to you. Well the iBook has flaws in it! MAJOR FLAWS! He bought it on eBay so I don't know what he should do. The power adapter is really unsafe so I don't know about that, but on ebay the seller didn't even metion the crack in the case (near the ethernet port)
    The ibook came in all of the original packages. It is a blueberry iBook 300mhz. The ibook should be fine. the auction did not metion ANY of the problems we found. Also i don't know if this is a softwar eproblem or waht, the screen seems a little dim when compared to my Key Lime iBook. Also when we go to the "Special" menu and select Sleep the screen goes black but has a gray bar yowars the uper part of the screen, the bar goes accross the screen, i would guess it would be a bout on centimeter think, the bar disappers and then the screen flashes in orange and the computer wakes up. It wakes up when we didn't touch any thing. What should he do? HELP Here is the picture of the adapter: [​IMG]

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    first you need to contact the seller to try to resolve this. if the seller sold you this as a book in great condition with no cracks and a perfect power cord, you deserve your money back.

if the seller will not refund, which i bet will be the case, you need to file a fraud complaint. this will only at most get you $175, but that is better than nothing.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/ins-process.html

post the link of the actual auction so we can give you better advice.

-ben

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

those are one of the scary things about ebay.. you can never see the actual product until after you buy it... so you can just fall into a trap of a fooey seller like your friend did... and even if you file a compaint like the person above said, you're still screwed cause you won't be able to get all of your money back...

Very risky stuff... you have to know what you're doing and make sure that the seller is legit and stuff... that's why I never buy from eBay...

irmongoose

5. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Here is the link of the auction, thanks for such speedy relpies! Here is the link: the bay item number is 2054135008 Item name: "Like New!! Blueberry iBook" I would send you the link but I have it on a different computer and I don't want to type the whole link out...

6. PieMac macrumors 6502a

Contact the seller and see if they are willing to work with you on a solution and if that doesn't get you anywhere, contact Ebay and file a complaint. Last but not least, leave negative feedback so others may be forewarned. Unfortunately, since this person obviously lied about the condition, you may not get very far with reason, but it's worth a try. ALWAYS check the feedback ratings.

A friend of mine purchased a month old iBook on Ebay and the seller assured her that it was "mint, like new" and specifically made a point of there being "absolutely no scratches"....well, you can guess the rest. There were definately scratches as well as a knick or two. It's always subjective though...some people are more particular than others and then some are just dishonest.

I would be really leary of making any big purchases on Ebay...especially something like a computer. You just never know how well it's been cared for.

Good luck!

7. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I would ask the seller to accept return of it and refund all your money. I think you paying shipping is acceptable. He should then file a shipping damage claim for the iBook. The power adapters were recalled by Apple and as far as I know you can still get the Yo-Yo adapter replaced with the new square one.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think the YoYo adaptors were ever recalled (at least here in Europe). The old G3 power book ones were, but they were replaced with the YoYo ones. I was able to buy a brand new YoYo from Apple about 3-4 months ago.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I'm pretty sure the yo-yo ones were recalled also because I have heard of people having there power adapters replace with the new square adaptor. This is the only reason I know the new adaptors are square. I don't own and have never owned a powerbook or ibook though I would like to have one.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Maybe they have been, but I though the square ones had the smaller connector on them (which started with the TiBook), where as the YoYos for the old style iBooks and Powerbook G3s have a large connector.

12. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I bought my iBook in August of 2001, and it came with a Yo-Yo adaptor. The old G3 PowerBook adaptors were recalled. The Yo-Yo ones never were. I haven't had a single problem with my Yo-Yo, but my friend bought an iBook in December of 2001, and he has had to replace his square adaptor 4 times already.

13. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

unfortunately there is nothing you can do beyond asking for a refund. ebay will not consider the description he gave as untruthful. no where does the seller say that the yo-yo and ibook do not have problems with it. he just says" you will not find a better one". well, in his mind, you may not be able to. jot this down in your head as a lesson.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2054135008

NEVER BUY WITHOUT SEEING A PICTURE OF THE PRODUCT FIRST.

NEVER BUY FROM SOMEONE WITH 1 FEEDBACK.

NEVER BUY SOMETHING WITH SUCH A VAGUE DESCRIPTION.

i also would not have bought this from a student. student's computers are usually used very hard. i bet this was dropped once or twice.

ebay is a very risky place to buy. you need to be very careful because there are a ton of people out there looking for an idiot or someone to dupe. on the other hand, you can get some great deals out there.

also- in the future search completed auctions to see what this type of item is regularly going for- i think you paid WAY too much for this laptop.

live and learn. i was screwed once on ebay (my one negative feedback out of 60 or so) and i am now extremely careful.

14. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

My friend tested the iBook AC adapter and it wos i just doenst look safe, so I guess the only problem is the crack, the sleep problem isnt that major, the crack was just unexpected. It's a good iBook and has all the original paper and stuff. If it runs why not keep it, well if you can deal with the crack, I'll try and get a picture of the AC adapter and the crack, see you later! :)

15. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

While we are on the topic of not buying stuff on eBay, let me just tell you of a GREAT deal I got on a Selmer Mark VI Alto Sax. (That is the top of the line Alto, in my opinion, their is nothing better.) I saved about $1500 on it and it plays like a dream. However, I wasn't stupid about it. I've heard way too many eBay horror stories and asked the seller if he had a tryout period on the horn. He said I could have it for 3 days and send it back if I wasn't satisfied. Always ask the seller about trying things out. If they say no, they might be hiding something so skip the auction.

P-Worm

16. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Actually, he does claim that the iBook is in "excellent" condition. But you're right; any grey description like this one should be either avoided or clarified by the seller. If the iBook was mint or like new, he probably would have said that.

Unfortunately there are people out there who won't lie, but will avoid addressing the whole truth. While I'm not sure if this seller did that intentionally or not, it is a good lesson for future eBay purchases.

I think we've all been burned at least once...

17. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

that really blows...i'd be miffed, but thats why i always seem to resist that "great deal" on ebay. i am sure most people on there are not trying to screw people over...but there are sure to be several who are.

oh, and btw, not telling the whole truth to the detriment of the other party is just as bad as a lie in the eyes of the law;) course in this case it wouldnt be worht pursuing...

18. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I clicked on the eBay link provided by LimeiBook86 and then clicked on the dealer's feedback link. I then looked at the list of the things he had bought/sold. There was only one transaction in which the dealer had made a purchse. Here is the link to what he bought...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2047449375

Take note of the date. Here are my two thoughts...

1.) The guy that your friend bought the iBook from broke the laptop and didn't want to lose any more money on his purchase so he sold it without telling bidders what was wrong with it (I hope that makes sense). He's only $50 in the whole.

2.) The original owner of the iBook broke it and sold it without telling your friend's dealer.

At least he wasn't a complete fraud. I tried to buy a Pismo PowerBook 2 years ago on eBay. I paid this guy $1900 ($1700 VISA, $250 MO and shipping). He never sent me the PowerBook and he tried selling it to 3 other people. Luckily, I got my $1700 back and I'm still waiting for my $250. At least it's good to know that he's getting pounded in the A$$ by Bubba right now.

19. Mac n' Steve macrumors newbie

My friend had put in that the ibook that i got from ebay is horrible!!! On the auction page said that it was in great condition.... but i guess my friend told you the rest.... Overall, its in great condition... well, i e-mailed the person and i'm waiting for there reply. I made a bad mistake but i'm going to learn from it. That way, in the future, i will know what to look for....

20. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

At least next time you, and your friend, will be more careful I'm sure. At least it wasn't worse. He could've gotten something that didn't work at all, or was never sent. He can always take it to an authorized retailer to get it fixed, but sometimes it's cheaper just to buy a new one.

I guess I don't have to mention that it's always best to check the seller's history (even though I just mentioned it :p) to catch things like this. I bet the guy doesn't even know he can get caught for pulling stuff like this.

I was screwed out of a video card on eBay once, but it was so cheap anyway it wasn't worth trying to get my money back. I won't bore you with the details, but I was careful and I still got scammed. After repeated e-mails to the seller, after he stopped replying, I reported him, and his account was cancelled.

Also, if the buyer used a Credit Card, he can refute it with the CC company and sometimes get most of it credited back to his account.

This is why I rarely use eBay, and never make large purchases there. And always use a trusted company, even for used and refurbs, like www.powermax.com or www.smalldog.com etc.

-End of lecture.

22. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

That is some good proof right there folks that the honor system jsut plain sucks.....

23. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

i bought my white DVD 500 iBook a year ago on eBay.

i bought a machine located in the US because even if i had to pay nearly as much as the US retail price it would still be cheaper than the Oz retail price.

it was a very risky thing to do and i wouldn't do it again, especially after what i've read here.

luckily i didn't get burnt. i spent roughly $US1400 and because he was getting such a good price the seller waited a couple of months for my paypal authentiification process to come through. he even undervalued the machine on the export documents, allowing me to avoid some import tax :)

it was effectively new and was in a factory sealed box - that's why i bought it, i only hope is wasn't hot.

oh that reminds me. i didn't come through completely unscathed. the description said it came with 128MB of iBook compatible RAM, which did arrive - in two 64MB sticks! not exactly useful to a machine with only 1 slot. not a lie but also not completely honest.

i'd have to say the best advice about sellers is to go on the number and nature of comments left about them. by 'nature of comments' i mean ask the question "does this seller have a lot of good comments left by a number of people who also have a number of good comments?" a seller with lots of good comments from a bunch of people with very few comments of their own smells bad.

don't be put off by one or two bad comments. check them out. see if the person leaving them has a good reputation. sometimes they're the dodgy ones, not your seller.

use common sense above all. although what i did may not have been the smartest i did a little digging around and was confident that my seller was kosher. but ultimately it's down to good faith and most eBay transactions do go off without a hitch, otherwise they'd be out of business.

i_b_joshua

24. Choppaface macrumors 65816

you can also try filing mail fraud. i forget the link, but i think its on the USPS site somewhere. I think you can get back all your cash, dunno, but I've heard from people before that its a lot more effective than ebay's protection

25. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Yea the postal service has like 50x more protection than any single group. The charge for regualr fraud is not as bad as fauding the postal service. If you want something done, and the ebay thing doenst come through, try the postal service.