Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mz.bhvn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Western Australia
Hey. I'm just about to start a new course at university in the field of Digital Media and am currently confused as to what laptop/notebook to purchase for my studies :confused:

At the moment I have my heart set on Apple's new Macbook's, particularly the white 2.0GHz MacBook. I've only ever been a windows user, but I am unsure whether a mac or a windows os would be the better choice in regards to my studies. My course involves photography, web design, video/audio editing, and pretty much anything to do with digital multimedia.
I have heard from the internet and a few lecturers that a mac laptop would be a great investment... but I was hoping to get some more advice from day-to-day computer users before I make up my mind and spend the cash.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could give me some advice or answer my #1 important question, are Apple Macbook's the best choice to use for multimedia?

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Digital media, eh? You DEFINATELY want a mac. Seriously. Video editing on a mac absolutely blows away anything on the pc.

If you can afford it you may want to think about getting a powerbook though- more power, bigger screen, etc.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
If you are going to be using this machine constantly for coursework, then you might be better off with a MacBook Pro for the bigger screen.

Otherwise, the MB should be fine for your purposes. Since your lecturers actually recommend Apple hardware, why not ask them specifically which machine they would recommend?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Basically it depends what software you are using, for example when I do programming modules which are generally Unix based having a Mac is huge advantage as I have all the Unix goodies built in.

It seems for your course that a Macbook, or if you are doing special effects, a Macbook Pro would be better than a PC as it is the standard for creative stuff, especially if it is recommended by the lecturers, if you are using Mac's at Uni having one at home will help (especially as Microsoft is very un-Mac friendly, PC stuff generally works on Macs but not the other way round as much.). But if you are using Windows only video editing programs at uni, then a PC might be more useful.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
If you are going to be using this machine constantly for coursework, then you might be better off with a MacBook Pro for the bigger screen.

Otherwise, the MB should be fine for your purposes. Since your lecturers actually recommend Apple hardware, why not ask them specifically which machine they would recommend?

This is absolutely right. MacBook is really not suitable for working on for long periods.. i should know!

mz.bhvn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Western Australia
If you can afford it you may want to think about getting a powerbook though- more power, bigger screen, etc.

Hehe, that's the problem... Uni student = poor, lol. My budget is probably up to the black 2.0GHz MacBook, and even then I'm pushing it. I'd love a powerbook, but money is limited haha. Do you think the MacBook would see me through?
Btw, thanks heaps for the input :)

mz.bhvn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Western Australia
especially if it is recommended by the lecturers, if you are using Mac's at Uni having one at home will help

I asked the co-ordinator of my course whether a laptop would be a good idea to purchase and he said that the majority of the time we will be using Mac's in the labs, but from time to time we'll be using PC's for programming units. We'll be using programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Lightwave and Macromedia studio. I'm prettty sure those programs can be used on a mac - so that's why im heading toward the MacBook. My lecturer also specifically recommended the white 2.0GHz MacBook.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Hehe, that's the problem... Uni student = poor, lol. My budget is probably up to the black 2.0GHz MacBook, and even then I'm pushing it. I'd love a powerbook, but money is limited haha. Do you think the MacBook would see me through?
Btw, thanks heaps for the input :)

I find my White Macbook fine for work, though you can buy an external monitor/keyboard/mouse for your desk if that's easier, the MB is also very portable being about the size of a pad of paper.

EDIT:
I asked the co-ordinator of my course whether a laptop would be a good idea to purchase and he said that the majority of the time we will be using Mac's in the labs, but from time to time we'll be using PC's for programming units. We'll be using programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Lightwave and Macromedia studio. I'm prettty sure those programs can be used on a mac - so that's why im heading toward the MacBook. My lecturer also specifically recommended the white 2.0GHz MacBook.

Go for it, I'd get the 2GB RAM upgrade though, and possibly a larger HD as well, other than that the White 2Ghz Macbook looks good.

mz.bhvn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Western Australia
I find my White Macbook fine for work, though you can buy an external monitor/keyboard/mouse for your desk if that's easier, the MB is also very portable being about the size of a pad of paper.

EDIT:

Go for it, I'd get the 2GB RAM upgrade though, and possibly a larger HD as well, other than that the White 2Ghz Macbook looks good.

Yeah, I think I'll go for an external mouse...because I can't stand the little pads on laptops lol, just can't seem to get the hang of them. Being it so portable it'd be great for taking it to and from home to uni. I think I might go the upgrade in 2nd year uni, as it may require that extra strength :rolleyes:

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Well, get the MB then. But perhaps consider an external screen for when you are working at home? You may even already have one from your PC.

Also, there are lots of options for external storage for the MB. It has FireWire400 which you can get a cheap external case and drive for.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
This is absolutely right. MacBook is really not suitable for working on for long periods.. i should know!

It's ok for extended periods of use. I have a macbook (used for audio) and have had two 12" powerbooks. All without extra monitors and used day in day out.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
It's ok for extended periods of use. I have a macbook (used for audio) and have had two 12" powerbooks. All without extra monitors and used day in day out.

I'll echo that, I use my 12" PB for about 5-6 hours straight every night, and I never have a problem doing so. Perhaps if I spent that whole time working at a desk I might encounter some annoyances, but I usually lay down on a couch and work.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005

If you do find you need any PC software, don't forget you can install Windows XP on the MacBook as dual boot - you can get XP pretty cheap off eBay (but make sure it is a legit copy).

mz.bhvn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Western Australia
Thanks to all of you for your advice :) I'm 99% sure I'll go for the white 2.0GHz MacBook, now that I've received more positives. I'll let you know how I go :p

MichaelThomas

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
Hey, Im a uni student too studying Multimedia Design.
Just so you know if you order your laptop from in your university you save 17.5% if your in the UK. You should deffinatley take advantage of that and get highest spec you can. Honestly, once you have a Mac you will never turn back to windows. Im speaking from experiance ;)

mz.bhvn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Western Australia
If you do find you need any PC software, don't forget you can install Windows XP on the MacBook as dual boot - you can get XP pretty cheap off eBay (but make sure it is a legit copy).

Yep, that's another reason why I'm heading for the MacBook, because I can switch to windows. Thanks :)

mz.bhvn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Western Australia
Hey, Im a uni student too studying Multimedia Design.
Just so you know if you order your laptop from in your university you save 17.5% if your in the UK. You should deffinatley take advantage of that and get highest spec you can. Honestly, once you have a Mac you will never turn back to windows. Im speaking from experiance ;)

Haha ok, sweet as. Unfortunately I'm not in the U.K, I'm in Western Australia and my university only gives discounts to crappy IBM laptops at the moment. I'm glad I've heard from a multimedia student who gives the thumbs up to Mac's ;)

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
The macbook is fine to work with for long periods of time. It just starts looking inadequate once you have it connected up to an external monitor. Or if you're trying to work in parallels for one program and in os x for the rest, you soon realize it has a small screen. But it's perfectly fine for everyday tasks.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
I just noticed I said powerbook instead of Macbook Pro. :)

I think the Macbook will do you fine- just get at least the 2 gigs of ram in there. I really miss mine- my only problem with it was doing serious work on tha tlittle screen- but if you get an external monitor one day you will be in great shape.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I think you should wait until your first week of class before you buy the computer. That way, you will have a better idea about softwares and you can buy what you need then.

I've studied "multimedia" before and 3DS Max is not something you would want to run on a MacBook. It really depends what kind of things are taught at your school.

mz.bhvn

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Western Australia
Haha, I just went to Harvey Norman (a computer retailer) and I asked one of the salesmen if they have Apple Macintosh's and he practically laughed in my face and said 'no we don't, and you don't want one of those anyway' ... I go 'um yer, I do...' and he goes 'they don't do as much as windows, they're only good for graphics and media' and I go 'well obviously I want a macbook for those purposes' - ****** badly!! So anyway, I've found a place that has them and I'm leavin' soon to purchase one :) hehe. Thankyou all for your advice and help :D

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Haha ok, sweet as. Unfortunately I'm not in the U.K, I'm in Western Australia and my university only gives discounts to crappy IBM laptops at the moment. I'm glad I've heard from a multimedia student who gives the thumbs up to Mac's ;)

You get discounts if you are a Uni student. It's like 12% or something. Your uni could do it automatically. The 2.0 GHz Macbook should cost you $1,888.70 with the student discount. If it costs more than that with 1GB RAM and 80GB HDD, you need to go buy it somewhere else. Simple as that.

If worst comes to worst, buy it off the online Apple store, but I would reccommend you buy it at an Apple centre (Authorised Apple reseller, whatever. There are a few places that exclusively sell Apple hardware and software, so you should see if you can find one), if you live near one.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Haha, I just went to Harvey Norman (a computer retailer) and I asked one of the salesmen if they have Apple Macintosh's and he practically laughed in my face and said 'no we don't, and you don't want one of those anyway' ... I go 'um yer, I do...' and he goes 'they don't do as much as windows, they're only good for graphics and media' and I go 'well obviously I want a macbook for those purposes'

I hate idiots like that. Had one of them in PC World, trying to say recent articles and all that proved mac's ran a hell of a lot slower than windows and weren't any more reliable, and weren't supported.

The whole myth about macs only being good for media and graphics always seems to get quoted, it's the biggest load of rubbish ever. They might be better for it, but it doesn't mean it's the only thing they can do. I'm studying Computer Science and have a macbook, the unix core makes things easier, the simplicity of everything lets me get on with my work instead of updating everything.

Oh the best bit was the fact that he said he couldn't show me the interface because they had one of their screensaver things running which just displayed on the screen and didn't let you do anything. I just pulled magsafe adapter out in front of him (there was no battery in it) and stuck it back in, straight into the OS. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.