Unibody Macbook Glass Panel Peeling Off

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by betafrog, Jul 27, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Bought my Unibody Macbook last november and recently I noticed that it would no longer close properly, You would close it but it would spring open a few mm's because the magnets would no longer keep the screen closed.

Now today I open my macbook to find that the glass plate at the front of the screen has started to detach itself...

[​IMG]

Has this happened to anyone else? Haven't rung apple yet but not a happy camper...

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It happens, some of the adhesives on the glass just fail for some reason.

On a VW Golf I used, the fixed rear quarter panel window on the side that always face the sun the adhesive turned gooey and began to fail. Of course for that car the repair was worse than the problem.

3. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

To the local Apple Store with thee!

4. macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue with my Macbook. Very irritating.
    What do apple do about this issue? I mean will they replace the Macbook or what?

5. macrumors 65816

Pixellated

Definitely take it to the store, that bit is actually meant to be sealed, so if they have to replace the lid for some reason, they actually replace the whole display. That is definitely not normal.

6. macrumors 6502a

applebook

I doubt it when some glue will do the trick.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish there was a local Apple Store for me to bring it into...

Have phoned the local service centre though and it will take 7 working days to repair!!! WTF!! :mad:

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I've heard before that if you crack the glass you have to replace the entire display so I wonder if this will be similar... Considering the magnets are gone as well I would hope they don't just glue it back in..

9. macrumors 68030

andalusia

Man, that's unlucky. Send it off on a Monday so you don't have to wait extra weekends too :D

10. macrumors newbie

that is really bad!!

That is really bad man!!
    I just hope my macbook unibody won't have a similar problem. Have you ever had any impact on your case?

Please let us know how well they solved your problem (how and how long it took).

11. macrumors 6502

Interesting

As far as I can tell, the difference between the shiny and matte screens is that the shiny screen has the extra cover on it (and costs more money). Losing the shiny protector shouldn't hurt anything beyond getting you a matte screen. Of course, YMMV. And yes, they should completely handle it for you.

12. macrumors newbie

13. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

As you can see from the photo, it's exposing the internals of the iSight and the ambient light sensor - you can clearly see the parts that Apple doesn't intend you to see in normal use.

14. macrumors newbie

So, no good news yet?

So, you did not call or take your box to Apple yet? No good news?
    A friend of mine droped his MacBook Pro last week and broke the hole screen =P He ended up changing it himself. Apple made quote around AUD$1.500,00, so he just bought a screen on eBay for $250,00.

But your case is different. They must fix it for you.
    Please let us know about your progress!
    Hope you have good news soon :)