Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmhyland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
I have had the illuminated keyboard since day one. I am pretty upset that the basic macbook does not have this feature. Anyone think I could just get topcase from the upgraded macbook? Anyway to get just the keyboard from an Air?

Zodi

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2008
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe the 2.4 keyboard would work on the base 2.0 model. Might take a few months for the part to become available but it might be an option. Only question is what the part will cost and if it would be cheaper to just get the 2.4 to begin with.

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Holy Sh*t my term is being used by other people :D

I wonder if there's a way to install lighting below the keyboard in a DIY kinda way...

I'll ust wait and see how this plays out

tmhyland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
nope

cant be done because the motherboard doesn't support it. now where to plug one in

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
cant be done because the motherboard doesn't support it. now where to plug one in

Where did you see this? I'm pretty sure people have put the 2.4 keyboard onto the 2.0 without issue, and there is a small plug on the logicboard for it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Do you have pics or something to back that up?

Ive been interested in putting an illuminated keyboard on a low end macbook.

I just cant see the sense in manufacturing two sets of motherboards that apart from a power source for a keyboard are identical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.