Uniforms

Discussion in 'Community' started by IDANNY, Aug 30, 2004.

1. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Hi I am in high school and i have school August 30. And in the end of last year they said for sure there wouldn’t be uniforms. But a about a week and I half a go I get I paper saying there are uniforms. After I bought my new cloths. Well this is the question I cant sleep trying to think of what to where the uniform or my normal cloths witch aren’t bad. I am very against the uniform and about half of my friends say they will not where it and half of them say they will. At this point I think i am going to where the uniform pants with a normal shirt. I would have been much happier if they told us in the beginning of the summer. :confused:

2. acceber macrumors regular

Uniforms ain't so bad, in Australia it's compulsory. They often reduce a lot of social pressure as well and provide a collective identity for students.

If you wear it properly, it looks smart as well. ;)

3. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

They were compulsory at my high school (Port Hacking, Miranda, South Sydney NSW, Australia), and i must admit they did look good. When the whole school was in mufti, we saw the differences in incomes between families. I was lucky enough to have well-off parents so the impact was not felt much with me. They are a good identifier of your school when you are out in public, and if you muck up, generally some older person calls your school, and then you hear about it later from your Principal.

Good luck with the uniform system. I believe it works.

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

So do I... I do like school uniforms, some people say, they are good because everybody look equal and can be managed the same way ... other people say, you should see different clothes at school because it helps to be in an environments of different personalities and you need to realize that difference... You choose!

... Oh! and the ladies do look nice in uniform... :p :cool:

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i had uniforms arent that bad i had them, it makes it easier during the week trust me hehe

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its odd that when people are given a choice they will look and act alike but rebel against it being enforced...

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

whatever you decide to do... make sure you don't skip class... you wear something, you don't where it.

and i say wear the uniform... what's the point of getting in trouble?

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that is so true...battling subcultures within the usa like to point out their differences, but to the outsider, they probably look very alike

being asian, there is a little rivalry between new american citizens of asian descent...a kind of my village vs. your village mentality...but after that family lives in the us for some time, they blend in with other asian cultures and eventually with the us as a whole

it's really funny watching the transition and i love to fool with the new immigrants who see me and always ask, "what country you from?" expecting me to say japan, china, vietnam, etc...i always throw them off by saying, "bhutan" because nobody in asia has an opinion about them and many asians have never even heard of them ;)

9. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Go ahead and wear the uniform. But make sure your parents go to the next school board meeting and express their extreme displeasure at have gone out a bought you new clothes, and now they have to go out and do it all over again. As a parent, a rule change this late in the year would really tick me off, since I'm the one spending the money.

edit:clarification

10. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

We don't have uniforms at my school but we do have a dress code. Collared shirt tucked in and pants/shorts with belt. The really only diversity is the color of the shirt. I don't mind it. It keeps people from looking like slobs.