Unimpressed with movies...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mrgreen4242, Sep 12, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

OK, so $10-15 for a "near DVD" quality movie, with no extras, no physical media, and no (unless we get one more one more thing) simple, cheap way to get it to the TV?

I mean, I was prepared to be unimpressed, but I was hoping to be surprised.

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

$9.99 - 14.99 for 640x480?! PASS

Looks like Netflix + Blu-Ray is the future of television for me :cool:

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

If they drop an HD bomb on us, it's over. BR is already half dead and HDDVD is strugling to stay above water. HD on demand from Apple/iTMS, with a slick settop box (that's reasonably priced) will put some serious nails in those coffins.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It's a non-issue for me since I live in Canada, but yeah, I'm not too impressed either. Just not enough of an attractive price point for me.

5. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Hopefully pricing on par with Canadian dollar, like 99 cent tunes.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I hear ya. I would argue that the format war is already over - and neither format won. :cool:

7. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Did he mention if you could burn it to DVD? If not I agree that this is a bit ahead of peoples current set ups and not likely to drive most average families to upgrade.

8. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

There are some movies I will pay $9.99 for, but anything more I would rather just buy the DVD.

There are quite a few movies that I WON'T buy at 640x480. Those are of course movies with heavy special effects or movies I watch non-stop.

I am upset that TV shows are being reencoded to 640x480. I dunno WTF I was thinking last night when I purchased Venture Bros season 2, I should have waited :(

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed...apple might of done this iTV thing right...DVDs are not going anywhere though.

Bless

10. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Same DRM restrictions as TV shows and music videos...

11. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Sounds like no. Didn't mention one way or the other, but apparently "access rights" are same as TV shows, which you can't burn to DVD, so I'd say it's off. Sounds like the movie store is just a warm up for next years iTV, though, so we may see some new features when it's released (probably not burning to DVD, though - I doubt they could get studios to go along with it).

12. vniow macrumors G4

Netflix + anything will be the future for me. I can't see myself ever using this iTunes service as it exists now unless I want a movie that they offer immediately and don't want to go to the store. Rental service online or brick and mortar is a huge business and since that's what I do with my movies, I am more inclined not to change my habits.

That and I like them to be as high quality as I can and 640x480 doesn't cut it for films. TV shows maybe...

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Exactly - those are the types of movies I am probably more likely to want to buy as well, and in that case, 640x480 just doesn't cut it. But then again, I'm picky. ;)

Edit: Good point spicyapple.

14. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

DVD resolution is 720x486, so you're not missing a lot. In fact, if the videos were encoded to H.264 from a pristine master source, then the quality should be better than DVD. I say should because depending on the bitrate and transfer source, the quality could be lower.

15. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Email/call iTMS store support and see if they will hook you up with a redownload - it's not an unreasonable request. :) Are they reencoding old eps, tho? Or is it just new stuff in the higher quality?

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

If it were HD and came with all the special features (commentary etc) I would be interested. Shame. Maybe 2007 they will bump up to HD.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, the special features would be a big selling point for me as well. Sometimes that's all I'm interested in seeing after I've seen the movie/TV show once. ;)

18. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Welllllll.... no, it's not. The DVD spec is actually a teribley confusing thing. It calls for 640x480 video file. Period. There is a seldom used "half-DVD" spec that most players will deal with OK, 320x240, although it doesn't seem to be a requirement to get DVD license approval (I have a portable DVD player that won't do half-DVD format, for example). DVD was designed arounf 4:3 TV sets, but since movies tend to be 16:9 or wider, and TVs become available in 16:9 during the lifetime of the DVD they "fudged" it.

The DVD spec doesn't call for a square pixel - it's ASSUMED it would be, since that's what would work for a 4:3 display. But, by using a non-square pixel, you can cram in 720x480 worth of video information, assuming you stretch it out to a square pixel over a wider display. That's what an anamorphic DVD is.

Now, you could probably do the same thing with an iTMS video file... I mean, it's possible. Would confuse your iPod a bit I assume (it would look stretched way out) and QT might have to be fooled with to play them back right, etc. Your HDTV, though, should correctly stretch it out for you (depending on the modes available for dealing with 4:3 content and how the iPod/iTV send out the video signal).

All of that said, on an 4:3 SDTV, these will look DVD. For a widescreen display, though, you won't get the aspect ratio, so you are missing quite a bit of the real picture. Now, on the other hand, the DVD spec calls for NTSC color, which sucks. Bad. H.264 if well mastered could deliver some really nice vibrant color, which goes a long way to making a nice picture.

If they have a cool promo for PotC2 on iTunes (good price, get a free item, soundtrack, early release, etc) I'll prolly check it out...

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for the insight mrgreen4242, I wasn't aware of all that. You learn something new every day... :cool:

20. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

NP... although I am sure someone smarter will come along and correct what I've said any moment now...

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    So there are 75, they're US only with only a 'hope' of international next year - if it's anything like the time between music stores, iPhoto services and the yet to be seen TV shows, I suggest those outside the US, don't hold their breaths.

Part of the reason that the iPod worked is because it didn't force you to buy through iTunes and it made it simple for anyone to use the songs they already owned to fill it.

I can't see a proper iPod video taking off until they can do the same thing -make it easy for Joe Public (who aren't up to Handbrake, Mactheripper) - fine, stick some token local DRM on them if you have to so that the movie studios don't complain.

For the moment... I was underwhelmed again... The iMac 24" was more exciting...

22. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hard to blame Apple for international support issues - I'm sure they would LOVE to sell to the global market, but the studios don't make it easy...

As for ripping DVDs to the iPod, aside from studio consent, there's the whole DMCA to contend with. The only thing I could think of is if Apple sold an iTMS Pro ($10 or bundled with the purchase of an iPod video) that had a license to the CSS decrypter... that might keep them on the good side of the law, and adding FairPlay (which is at the moment better protection that CSS) to the output might keep the studios happy.

Now, I find that unlikely as they would rather sell you a new copy through iTunes, but who knows.

23. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I'm not going to bite.

The price is not right.

Also, am I missing something in that Apple sells widescreen computers but not widescreen videos?

24. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yes, yes, yes! I said the same thing in another thread - you can't buy a non widescreen display from Apple, but they won't sell you any widescreen media! GRRRR!

25. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

They're equally bad in other areas. So they sell an iPod hifi that's "an audiophile's dream" and the bitrate of iTunes music downloads is 128kbps? :rolleyes:

But as for the video quality, if you look at the new itunes it has a whole new download manager. I believe they're getting people used to this download manager before unleashing huge HD movies.

If they start selling movies @ HD with a bundle of extras, I'm going to stop buying DVDs…

Applespider - While you are totally correct that it's a joke how international iTunes stores still don't have TV shows, movies are very different to TV shows. With television, there are regional licensing rights to different TV channels, etc. It all gets very complicated because these original US broadcasters don't have the rights for putting their show on other iTunes countries. BUT with movies, there are no regional licensing rights, because movies aren't syndicated, they're wholly owned by the distributor, and so we'll probably see movies in every iTunes Media Store without the wait we're getting on TV shows :)