uninstall DivX 6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by QCassidy352, Jun 19, 2006.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

stupidly, I installed the DivX codec for quicktime without checking that it was the universal binary version. The site doesn't say, and I just assumed it was... stupid, I know.

Anyway, I can't install the beta of the universal version (I get the message "nothing to install") without uninstalling the PPC DivX 6 that I installed. But while there is an installer script, there's no uninstaller script, and just dragging the app to the trash didn't do it.

Any help please? :eek:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. vniow macrumors G4

Thanx for being helpful. :rolleyes: Divx installs components that wouldn't be noticed by the casual user. I forget which folder they install in, but there's some bundles in a Quicktime folder you'll need to remove, may be in the library folder but I'm on a work PC at the moment, can't tell you outright.

4. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thank you, vniow. Indeed, it's the location of these scattered components that I need.

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I'm also on a windows work machine, :(

But, I think the file you'll want to trash will be in HD>Library>Application Support>Quicktime>plugins...

Or,

HD>Library>Application Support>Plugins

Something like that...I might be wrong though...

good Luck.

6. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

You'll find he codecs in Hard Drive>Library>Quicktime

7. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thank you, but if I move those codecs to the trash, I still get the same message telling me "there is nothing to install." :( Help, anyone?

edit: I think I found the files. But trashing them did no good... I'm starting to think there's just something wrong with the installer... has anyone installed the UB of the divx QT plugin with success?

8. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

That's odd all right. Try removing the divx receipt packages aswell
    HD>Library>Receipts
    Or just do a search for 'divx' and ditch everything that turns up.
    Other than that i'm stumped :confused:

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Drag the receipt from /Library/Reciepts/DivX 6 For Mac Installer.pkg in to Pacifist and it will tell you what is installed and where. Remove all of that and the receipt pkg and you should be golden.

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yes

11. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

thank you very much risc! That finally did the trick. :) Neat little app, that pacifist!

strangely, the divx converter app still says "PowerPC," but I see on their website that this is just an error, and it is in fact universal. :)

12. sfish macrumors newbie

Beautiful! I know this thread is old, but I couldn't find any information on the DivX site for uninstalling. This tip was perfect and I'll be spending the money I might have used to register DivX to instead register Pacifist!

13. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

Archive.bom

i was just looking to nuke divx today and found this thread.

i used the built-in commandline tool 'lsbom' to get the list of all files installled.

the file lives at inside the package>Contents>Resources>Archive.bom

cd there and run 'lsbom Archive.bom'

-ph

14. Xyp macrumors newbie

Just a quick bump for this thread, cuz I found this super annoying with even the most recent version of Divx... Here's your solution, thanks in part to information from the page linked at the bottom of this post:

Delete files from all of the places listed in the posts (Mac HD/Library/Application Support, etc.)... AS WELL as the extensions for your browsers (Firefox, Safari, etc) in their own individual folders- i.e. Firefox's will be under

-> Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/Extensions

With a long nonsensical string of numbers / letters. Delete the whole folder. Extreme, I know, but if you want to fully get rid of the Divx extensions, this is the only way I found to do it... and I think you have to do each browser individually. For more info, see here...

http://picotweet.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-fully-uninstall-divx-7-mac.html

...and good luck.