Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyguy451

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
I'd like to uninstall Garageband and all associated files - will this have any adverse affect on the rest of my machine? Is there a better way to uninstall than to just delete what I find?

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
flyguy451 said:
I'd like to uninstall Garageband and all associated files - will this have any adverse affect on the rest of my machine? Is there a better way to uninstall than to just delete what I find?
Spotlight "Garageband" and delete all the files??

Why do you want to get rid of it?

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Why do you want to get rid of such a cool program? If you do want to uninstall, just spotlight everything that has garageband in it and delete it.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
ChrisFromCanada said:
Probably because it takes up a lot of space; what is it 4 Gigs?

True, but it is an awsome program. Theres so much stuff you could do with it. Not to mention you can make just about an endless number of loops.

flyguy451

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
I don't use Garageband and don't really see myself using it in the future so, as neat as it is, for me it's just wasted space. I did manage to find some other large files and a few demo programs to delete so I'll keep Garageband for now though.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
flyguy451 said:
I don't use Garageband and don't really see myself using it in the future so, as neat as it is, for me it's just wasted space. I did manage to find some other large files and a few demo programs to delete so I'll keep Garageband for now though.

If you want to get rid of it, just use finder or spotlight and delete everything that has garageband in the title.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I've never used Garageband, and I really have no idea to make anything cool with no instruments (I have no talents), so I might delete it as well. :eek:

How well can you just make a cool beat if you wanted to? That's all I want to do. I may try it out if I find more time, but if not, then byebye Garageband.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Abstract said:
I've never used Garageband, and I really have no idea to make anything cool with no instruments (I have no talents), so I might delete it as well. :eek:

How well can you just make a cool beat if you wanted to? That's all I want to do. I may try it out if I find more time, but if not, then byebye Garageband.

Ok, i'll teach you how to make some cool loops. Basically you launch Garageband and create a new project. When it opens, you have a piano siting in front of you, just close it because you don't need it. The click on the piano on the left side, go up to the top and select "Track" from the menu then "Delete Track" from the pulldown menu. Now we are going to start createing our own loop.

1) Go to the top menus, click "Control", scroll down to "Show Loop Browser". These are all the loops within the program. You will notice the bottom of the program now has a bunch of categories to choose from, mainly instruments. (NOTE: you can change the way the loop browser looks by clicking on the little boxes in the very bottom left corner.)
2) We are now going to select instrument to add to our project. I want to start with a bass, so i'm going to click "Bass" then scroll down on the right side of the program to "Electric Slap 03" (because it's cool and I like funk music). Now clack and drag the bass over to the upper left where the piano was that you deleted a few seconds ago.
3) Next we are going to add a Guitar. So select "Guitar" from the menu on the left. (NOTE: In order to switch to a different instrument, you sometimes have to click the instrument you are currently on, basically it's like unchecking it. So click the "Bass" again to uncheck it then click "Guitar") Then scroll down on the right side to "Funky Electric Guitar 3". Now do the same thing and click and drag over to the upper left under the Bass.
4) Now it's time for some Drums. Select "Guitars" again to unselect it, then select "Kits" (right under "Drums"). Scroll down to "Modern Rock Drums 12". Clack and drag that over to the upper left where the Guitar and Bass is at.
5) Now it's time to spice things up. Select "Shakers" from the main list. Select Shaker 06 and add it to our list. Also add a Tambourine while we're at it, it's a nice touch...I'm serious! Tambourine 07 will do the trick.

Now we have a pretty cool kick ass Rythm section. You can continue adding more pieces to the section like I did by adding more cymbles and bass drums even a horn section. If you want more, just PM me. If anyone is interested I can send you basically this loop with more pieces over it so you can get an idea what I was heading towards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.