Uninstall Mail.App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NeoXY, May 29, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2007
    Hi all

My woe started after the 10.5.3 update, Mail would crash basically every step of the way and I can't get my...well mail. Despite efforts to fix it, no luck. So, I know I can reinstall the entire app from scratch with my Leopard disk. My question is, how do I completely and utterly remove any traces of Maill.app on my computer...err?

I don't care about preferences, e-mails, none of it. I just want the app gone.

Can anyone help?

Thanks alot
  2. macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    Well I know you can just drag Mail.app to the trash and delete it.

You could also use AppZapper which will find everything related to Mail.app and delete it too.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2007
    Used Appzapper, and I still have all my old e-mails and account preferences intact

Anyone else can help? Aren't there physical files in folders I can delete to get rid of it completely?
  4. macrumors member

Jul 22, 2003
    Just got to Home > Library > Preferences and delete the file "com.apple.mail.plist".

Then go to Home > Library and delete the folder called "Mail". That should get rid of the last traces.
  5. macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Yeah, don't do it. Mail is not the cause of your problems. Removing it will not cure your problems, but it may cause other problems down the line.
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2007
    ...alright, so what should I do instead?
  7. macrumors 6502

Feb 23, 2005
    I agree! Post your specific problems here, or, better, on the Apple forums for Mail. Someone like Ernie Stamper will probably have a quick solution for you
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2007
    Thanks, I'll try the Apple support forum.
  9. macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2009

Hello Everyone

Have a look here. This does it. For some reason all my accounts were set to SSL and I also needed to make sure the outgoing SMTP was set custom to port 25. Maybe it was overkill but I can email :)

Robert MacFarlane
    Hagoth Inc.
  10. macrumors newbie

Jun 14, 2010
    My preferred email client is Thunderbird which I use for all my accounts. I would just leave Mail alone and ignore it but every time I start my Mac it pops up wanting me to create an account... can anyone tell me:

a) a good reason not to uninstall Mail.
    b) why Mail keeps annoying me on startup.
    c) how long port 25 has been custom for SMTP :p
  11. macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Port 25 is not a custom port. Port 25 is the standard port for SMTP.
  12. macrumors newbie

May 1, 2010
    Wanganui, New Zealand
    I'm exactly the same. Have been a TBird user for years even before I switched to Mac but Mail keeps popping up and trying to download all the scrillions of emails on the server. Annoys the hell out of me. I tried dragging it to Trash but didn't work.

What downstream effects could there be for uninstalling it?
  13. macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2013
    Get rid of mail app popping up

The quickest as harmless way to get it of mail popping up is to compress it. Just right click and select compress. :)
  14. macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2013

another option
    delete the accounts in mail.app