UNinstall test drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OldManJimbo, Aug 16, 2004.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I am finally getting around to installing rhe Office 2004 test drive. Been busy with other things.

Question - if I come to end of the trial period and decide to NOT buy the upgrade (cash flow issues mostly) - will I have trouble reverting to Office X?

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

No, you should be fine. It comes with an uninstaller if you look under additional tools, from here you can specify which copy of Office you want to remove.

3. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

4. osprey76 macrumors 6502

To uninstall? Yes.

You should be able to tell the OS to only use Office v.X, but sometimes a document might try to use Office 2004 instead and you'll get "trial period over messages" and the like. Just a bit annoying.

Also, be very careful which version you choose to uninstall. On the plus side the uninstaller only deposits things in the trash; you have to actually do the final deletion. So, make sure everything looks right before emptying your trash.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It shouldn't be a problem, but I can see the potential for big problems. If Office 04 installed Fonts or other extras (and it does) it might delete them and cause problems for Office x when it tries to use them (assuming it uses the same resources). If the preference file are called word.plist instead of word04.plist then you might get some annoyances. I guess the success of the uninstaller will depend on the quality of the installer.

At worst you'd end up reinstalling Ofice x, which isn't a huge ordeal.

Let us know how it goes.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm guessing you're talking about the test drive, and it's no biggie to install or uninstall so go for it.

If you're wondering if Office 2004 is worth an upgrade, I guess that all depends on how useful you find the new introductions. Project Center is the main new feature, it allows you to store all your information reagarding a project in one place. Whilst a nice idea it's not a feature that I'm going to start taking advantage of, and I prefer using Mail, iCal etc to Entourage. I don't use Excel all that much and prefer Keynote to Powerpoint. Office 2004 does have a few nice new touches, such as the transparent palette, but on the whole I don't see it as a necessary upgrade. Then again Textedit would fulfill my needs so I might not be the best person to ask! :) Luckily I was given the upgrade for work otherwise I doubt I would bother upgrading.