Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by firststrike101, Jan 16, 2007.

1. firststrike101 macrumors member

Mar 1, 2005
    Manitoba, Canada
    Im looking for a program that uninstalls programs..ie the pref files and anything associated with the program that is being removed. So what will do this for me? Thanks in advance.
  2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2006
    Or, alternatively, you could try uApp, which is free.
  3. gre2974 macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2007
    I thought when you move an application from the application folder in Finder to the trash can, then empty the trash can this removes the sottware and all residual files?
  4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    No. Almost everything is included in that application package that you trash, but basic apps generally leave a small preference file or two behind elsewhere on your system. There's generally no harm in leaving them there unless they're corrupted...they're very small.
  5. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    just add a little bit info here
    sometimes, the "residue" is HUGE, like garageband, iDVD
  6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Agreed...hence my qualification of "basic" apps, but I should have elaborated further. Some Apple apps tend to leave big stuff in multiple places on your hard drive, such as in the Application Support folder and elsewhere. Other big apps like Office and Adobe apps do a pretty good job of keeping most of their associated files within the main folder inside your Applications folder, but they too can leave things elsewhere on your system.