Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reeves

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Virginia
I have only had a Mac for about one month, so I've been testing all these applications that wern't avalible to me when I had Windows. When I don't like a certain application I put it in the trash bin. Is this the correct way to uninstall things? If not can someone tell me how to uninstall correctly.

Reeves

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Reeves said:
I have only had a Mac for about one month, so I've been testing all these applications that wern't avalible to me when I had Windows. When I don't like a certain application I put it in the trash bin. Is this the correct way to uninstall things? If not can someone tell me how to uninstall correctly.

Reeves
By Jove, I think you've got it!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I also tend to do a search for the application's name to see if there are any preferences (usually in the Library>Preferences folder) or any other stray bits & pieces that may have sneaked in elsewhere.

These can be deleted from the 'search results' window...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Blue Velvet said:
I also tend to do a search for the application's name to see if there are any preferences (usually in the Library>Preferences folder) or any other stray bits & pieces that may have sneaked in elsewhere.

These can be deleted from the 'search results' window...

Yeah, you can do that if you want, but these are very small files, and they're not going to be doing anything without the main program, which has already been trashed. It's not like windows apps, which install all sorts of processes all over the place that actually affect your system performance.

Reeves

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Virginia
I just tried the way Blue Velvet reccamendded it and it doesn't seem to give me much more HD space. But I think I'm going to do it both ways when it's time to uninstall applications.

Thanks
Reeves

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
wordmunger said:
Yeah, you can do that if you want, but these are very small files, and they're not going to be doing anything without the main program, which has already been trashed. It's not like windows apps, which install all sorts of processes all over the place that actually affect your system performance.

I never said anything about them being large or vaguely important.
I just like a tidy Mac. :)

Besides, it only takes a few seconds...

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
wordmunger said:

Unless, say, its a program like Garageband which sticks 2GB worth of stuff in your Library Folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.