uninstalling apps in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by TurboLag, Feb 25, 2004.

1. TurboLag macrumors member

I am new to the mac community, one thing discerns me. When I install an app and want to remove it, I just delete the folder from "applications".
    I am used to going to add/remove in WinXP, as it removes all traces of the app from my hd. Am i removing the apps properly in OSX?

2. Maritan macrumors regular

Yes, that's all you need to do in OS X. There will be "residues" (preferences) of the program left in some folder- I'm not able to recall which folder exactly, which you can manually remove if you wish to remove every trace of the program.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You might have some minor files left in your Library folder but most likely they're just super small (less than 50k or so) files that have config information in them. If you're super cramped on space you can usually find them by searching for the App's name in Finder but normally I just let them be.

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

look in library/preferences. Some files of type xxxxxx.plist would be there. xxxxxx would be the name of application. You can delete the one you want. Not absolutely necesary though..but if you wanna be clean:)

5. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

To be more precise, they are usually called com.[company name].[product].plist. Eg for Finder it would be com.Apple.Finder.plist.
    The application might also have a folder of its own name in Library, eg there's an iTunes folder there. Finally, in the Application Support folder there might be a folder with the application's name.

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

You can do two things to remove everything. Some installers include remove buttons. Some you have to hold down the option, control or command key to get the intall button to change to uninstall.

The other way is to find the read me file for the program which may tell you what files it installed and where to find them. Not too hard to remove them this way.

Are you using OSX? It will depend on the OS where you remove files from,b ut after you do it a few times it gets easy as you knwo where to look and what to look for.

7. Declan macrumors member

I'm a new user too, but i find if theres no uninstaller, do a search using the application name, and most folders and preference files will be listed, simple drag them all to the trash..

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

A few downloaded applications will come packaged with an uninstaller that will remove all files and folders associated with the application. For those apps that do not, like those above stated, a simple search of the application in general will result in the files to be manually removed by merely dragging them to the trash can.

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: uninstalling apps in OSX

Every time I used it I'd be told that some parts of the program had to be removed manually. So much for removing "all traces."

10. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

ubergeek has got to get over herself! Is there anything we can talk about o mighty one? or would you rather we refer back to an older thread? gee whiz!