Uninstalling iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JDN, Jan 27, 2007.

1. JDN macrumors 6502a

I've never had to uninstall an application on my mac before but i don't seem to be able to find out how to do it. Is it as simple as just dragging the icon from the applications folder and emptying the trash?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes. But why are you deleting iTunes?

3. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's being funny with me, and i can't be bothered to trouble shoot.

4. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now when i try to delete it it say 'Cannot delete iTunes ... iTunes helper is in use' i haven't used the iTunes helper?!

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iTunes helper runs all the time, you'll have to quit it from the Activity Monitor.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why delete it, just let it sit there. What is iTunes doing wrong anyway?

7. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, well, i deleted it completely and re-installed it. the problem was CD's i ripped to iTunes were being ripped fine, but then when i deleted them from the iTunes Music folder and moved them to my external HD the artist and album info was lost. So then i tried to move my iTunes music folder to my external HD ... and in my preferences it says it is on my external HD but there is no iTunes music folder appearing when i open the finder for my external HD.

8. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

If you just dragged the app to trash and deleted, then reinstalled it is still probably using the same .plist

I would delete that and let iTunes rebuild it and see if your problem goes away.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well that's not totally surprising, the best way to move the music to the external is by changing the music folder to the external and doing iTunes==>Advanced Menu==>Consolidate library.

10. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

And how would i delete this .plist then?

11. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

But there is no iTunes Music folder showing up on my external HD. And if i consolidated my library now that would dump all my music on my MBP which is the last thing i want!

I want my iTunes music folder on my external HD so when i rip new CD's they go straight there.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Go to iTunes==>iTunes Menu==>Preferences==>Advanced==>General, then change the iTunes music library to a folder which has your music in it on your external HD.

Then go to iTunes==>Advanced Menu==>Consolidate Library to put your music on your External.

If you open iTunes when your external isn't attached then it will revert the library location to your MBP, but if you restart iTunes after reattaching iTunes it will refind all your music.

Any ripped music will go to the iTunes folder on your MBP (if you load iTunes when your external isn't plugged in and it has reverted the library location), but you can repeat the process described here and it will go to your external.

TBH This isn't the high ease of use you expect on a Mac so you aren't being stupid.

13. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

The part im not understanding is that in iTunes => Preferences => Advanced where is says iTunes Music Folder Location i changed it to the music folder on my external HD. So in the Box it reads ... MEDIA:MEDIA:Music which shows that it is my external HD, then my media folder, then my music folder. However, when i open the music folder on my external HD there is not an iTunes Music folder in there which i assume there should be, considering that is where i told iTunes to put it.

EDIT: I should note that if i press the reset button under the change button in the Advanced menu of the Preferences, then an iTunes folder appears in the Music folder on my MBP.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The iTunes music library file itself is always stored on your MBP for safe keeping, don't worry about it ;).