Uninstalling OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jshum9999, Aug 27, 2004.

1. jshum9999 macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I just recently got a new Powerbook, and it comes preinstalled with a bunch of crap that I don't think i'll ever use. I'm a PC user, so I'm used to uninstalling stuff. How do I uninstall a lot of the junk I don't need other than just deleting it? Also, OS9 Classic is installed on my computer, but I don't even plan on using classic programs, can someone assist me in uninstalling it? Should I just use my restore cds and do a clean reboot? Also, how do I install Xcode without the Xcode cd?

Thanks
    Justin Shum

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

only way i know of to remove classic is to wipe the drive, do a fresh install and leave it off the disk. most stuff you don't want you can just remove (i.e. apps, etc). xCode needs a cd im pretty sure.

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

mac user just drags unnecessary apps to trash and that's it. tech-oriented mac user also deletes the preference file from user library, but that's ok to leave behind.

i also would recommend you wipe the disk clean and install the OS yourself from the ground up. you get valuable experience, plus can customize your installation - in other words, leave tons of different language localizations away.

not installing classic from your system restore also leaves the option open to install it at the later time, should you face the need to.

if you're interested to optimize your hard drive performance a little, you should think about partitioning the hard drive; give the OS about 12-15GB from the beginning of the disk and leave the rest for user files - that way the system partition will be left alone when you mess up the rest of the drive ;) partition will be quickly fragmented when small files are created and deleted constantly (web surfing especially, but just plain normal use will fragment it for sure). you will however need to do one root-level trick to make it work, so don't do it if you are uncertain about your skills... (the trick is to modify /etc/fstab file so your second partition is mounted to /Users directory.)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

All you have to do is to drag the MacOS 9 System Folder to the trash. You can also do the same thing with the Applications (MacOS 9) folder. Here is the big HOWEVER. Don't do it. One of the most frequent requests on this and similar forums is for help to reinstall Classic. You are a newbie. You need experience with a system that is fully and properly configured. Deleting stuff that you don't understand is not the way to get that experience.

I consider JFreak's suggestion to be a popular, but stupid suggestion. There is no reason--none--to ripe your hard disk and rebuild the OS. You are much more likely than Apple to screw-up your installation. When I bought my first Mac, Apple did not preinstall the OS, but it does so now and for good reason. I will concede that it is not impossible that you get a bad installation from the factory, but it is highly unlikely. It is much more likely that you will do a bad installation at home. As I said before, you need experience with a system that is configured properly. You have plenty time to customize your installation after you understand your Mac.

5. jshum9999 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi guys,
    thanks for the quick response. i actually know how to format and everything, the only thing is i have the panther 10.3.4 discs, and my system restore disks also. I was going to do a clean install, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get iLife 04 (ie: garageband) back if I used those disks. so my big question is, how do I get a clean install WITH garageband without buying iLife 04 discs? I think the software is on my restore discs, and but I use the software restore program it'll install all that other software like omnicrap and stuff like that.
    So if I use my system restore discs, will i be able to customize installation, or will it just be standard default to what my powerbook came with?

thanks guys,
    justin

6. sebisworld macrumors 6502

If your computer came with two DVDs, the first one contains Panther without any add-ons. In order to have GarageBand, you start the Software Restore Installer on the DVD, then run the installed program (it's in the Utilities folder) which guides through the installation of GarageBand. It's pretty easy.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When you start the Software Restore app, it'll start with 'Restore All' selected. If you deselect this, you'll be able to select which apps to restore.

To remove Classic, just drag the System Folder and Applications (Mac OS 9) folders to the Trash. You don't need to reinstall OS X to get rid of OS 9.

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

how do you screw up the OS installation? i have tried and failed. once the installer program is finished, the system is fully functional.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Power glitches, media damage, user error--to name three.