Uninstalling Panther, Returning To Jaguar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Stan, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Stan macrumors member

Sep 1, 2003
    I have been trying to set up a shared Airport network between an iMac G3 and a TiBook G4. The TiBook is accessing the internet no problems using Panther and Airport. The iMac will not install Panther as it says it requires a firmware upgrade, which I cannot find. The iMac cannot access the shared Airport connection unless both systems are running the same OS. I have come to the conclusion, what with various issues with 10.3, that I would be best advised to re-install 10.2.8 on the TiBook to match the iMac. Then I hope both would access Airport. Again, re-installing Jaguar is proving a nightmare. The install disk crashes the machine as soon as it is loaded. Can anyone offer any advice.

Very frustrated Stan.
  2. Pismo macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2002
    Which iMac do you have? You can search for iMac firmware at Apple's Support page. To update the firmware, you need to be booted into OS 9 I think.

If you have a G3 iMac, I think the latest firmware is 4.1.9. Hope this helps.
  3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Boot into OS 9 and do a software update. That should find the firmware update. If not, then it's on Apple's website somewhere.

But if you got 10.2 to run on the iMac then you probably already have the firmware update. Jaguar needed it too. Panther pops up a lot of warnings about firmware--are you sure you're not just reading those?
  4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    If you have an OS 9 CD, all the firmware updates are in there too, under CD Extras.
  5. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I'm sure if I can share internet with an XP computer, surely Jag would be no different. Sure your airport card isn't busted in the iMac? or became unseated?
  6. Stan thread starter macrumors member

Sep 1, 2003
    Thanks to everyone for their replies. I will boot into OS9 and attempt to update the firmware and let you know how I get on! In regards to the networking, I read an article on Apples website which suggested the reason the password is always deamed to be incorrect when entered when trying to join a network, is a conflict between the operating systems.

Fingers crossed there is a way round it.