uninstalling programs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chairguru22, Jun 5, 2006.

1. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

May 31, 2006
    i've downloaded some programs (monolingual, handbrake, coreduotemp) and they get saved onto the desktop as a .dmg file and a 'harddisk'-like icon that i can eject. if i delete/eject them does that get rid of the program or is it still somewhere on my computer?
  2. Dandaman macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    If you drag the application from the hard-drive like icon to the application folder, that will install the application to your computer. Once you've done that, you can eject the hard-drive like icon and put the dmg file into the trash. If you want to uninstall the program from your computer, then just drag it out of your application folder to the trash.

3. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    The .dmg files are Disk Image Files and appear on your desktop as 'virtual' disk drives.
    If you go into each of the 'drives' (like your Handbrake one), you will see the components of the app. This may include an installer programme or just the app +/- a Readme file or whatever.
    To save your app permanently, drag the app's icon from the 'virtual' drive to your apps folder (or wherever - maybe Utilities).
    Once that is done, your app is permanently stored on your HD and you can then remove the vritual drive from your desktop by trashing it. The original downloaded file can be stored for future re-installation (I keep mine in a Software Store folder).
    Hope this has helped! :)