uninstalling programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mpulsive81, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Hey there I'm a bit lost about how to uninstall a program on my macbook. I recently found out AIM is crap on a mac (probably crap in general...) so i picked up Adium on recommendation from ppl here and i'm sold on it. So i tried deleting yahoo! and aim msgr and from what i've read, i just needed to drag it to the trash along w/ messenger preferences folder. i'm rather concerned because i spent an extra 1/2 hour manually deleting random files attributed w/ the program. So now i'm concerned about leaving traces of the programs. (yes that's the OCD part of me coming out) I just bought this thing and i don't want to be cluttering it w/ random, left behind files. I've tried searching for how to uninstall things but nothing seems "complete". Being an obvious switcher, i'd appreciate any advice I can get.

One more thing...i believe my sales guy at the apple store mentioned something about "touching" the corner of the screen to do something...does that ring any bells? Thanks in advance for the time.

2. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Just drag the app to the trash can and then use spotlight and search the program name and drag those to the trash can

You can also download AppZapper, which does that all for you and finds everything linked to that program and safetly removes it.

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Generally, dragging an app to the trash is sufficient. Sometimes apps spread files around and yet still don't come with an uninstaller. I find AppZapper very handy for these kind of apps (I was lucky enough to get it free).

As for touching screen corners, you can set both Exposé and Dashboard to activate when you move the cursor into a corner. Go into the Dashboard & Exposé section of System Preferences to set this up. Some people hate it, especially if they have never used it before and aren't expecting it. Personally, I can hardly use a computer that's not set up with hot corners for Exposé, and it's the first thing I do when I sit down at one of the lab Macs at school.

4. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

i'll definitely try that appzapper program. As far as the touching of the screen, i have my widgets set up for <apple> right corner. what i was referring to was physically touching the corner of the screen w/ my finger. Maybe I was just too into the macbook to pay attention to what he was saying lol

5. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

To the best of my knowledge you cannot physically touch the screen and have it do something. Of course I do not have a MBP, but I highly doubt it.

6. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

"you poke it you own it?"

7. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

MAN LAW!

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Well there is a program floating around that will let you set up your MB or MBP to switch between OS X and full-screen Windows XP (via Parallels) by tapping the side of your screen. It uses the sudden motion sensor to detect when you've tapped it. Maybe that's what he was talking about?