Uninstalling Programs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nerve, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Nerve macrumors member

Is there anyway to uninstall applications, like windows uses the Add Or Remove programs section? Any help is appreciated, thanks you.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

There is more than one way to uninstall apps - see this thread for a discussion earlier.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right, there's an easy way and a hard way. ;)

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

More like a basic uninstall and a complete or "anal" uninstall, the latter is needed in many cases but basic will do for most.

6. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

7. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

I assume you mean the files in the application folder on the macintosh HD? Or do I have to dive deep into the library files.

8. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Is there something specific that you are trying to uninstall?

9. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

There are apps that can remove over apps for you.

Theres AppZapper which is Shareware, or you could try AppDelete which is Freeware!

10. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

No, just general program uninstalling, I dont want random files floating around.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, not really. Some people have a thing about leaving preference and application support files behind, but this is really only an issue for neat-freaks who just don't like having them around. The relatively rare exception is the application which installs kernel extensions. These should be removed using the uninstaller which should have come with the application. I think I've seen exactly one of these in the last five years.

12. Nerve thread starter macrumors member

Oh, right, so I'll just move the folder in the application section to trash and remove it, thanks.

*Macs continue to amaze me*

13. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Or if you want to get rid of any additional files which are out of sight for the program you want to remove, try the links that I gave you.

14. reubs macrumors 68000

I've been using UApp lately, and I've been very pleased.

15. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

When application support files run into multi-gigabyte sizes, I don't think it is particularly freakish to expect the app to clean up after itself and return that space back to the OS. Garageband, I am looking at you.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is true, but GarageBand is probably the single greatest offender, and you can always peruse your Applications Support directories from time-to-time and toss anything pertaining to removed applications. Sorry if I made it sound like anyone who wanted to do this is freakish -- my point is, unlike Windows, it isn't necessary to remove everything associated with applications for the Mac to work properly afterwards.

17. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I found this explanation here - I will quote part of it, not wanting to steal the author's credit. It's well worth the read, and explains why you can drag an app to uninstall it, and what it left behind, and why. It also explains the uninstall steps involved (in general) for Windows apps. Enjoy the read, and I hope this answers a lot of questions for those transitioning from Windows to OS X.

Note to Mods: Perhaps a sticky with a compilation of the many discussions about this? I don't know if you can combine threads, but...