Uninstalling programs...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by kjs862, Mar 1, 2004.

1. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I recently just switched to mac from using windows for a number of years and I love it so far. The only thing I'm having problems with is how to uninstall programs. For example with windows you would to go add/remove programs. Does mac OS have anything like this ? I'm using their latest version of OSX if that helps. I noticed some programs have their own uinstall feature, but some don't for example I downloaded the trial version of photoshop CE and there is no unistall option. Thanks

Ken

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

drag to trash along with pref files. thats it! macs don't keep app files in 1000 different places like windows. most mac apps are just 1 file besides the pref file.

3. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Its very easy and unbelievable for Windows users: just drag the app to the trashcan and you are done.

Cheers

4. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I don't even worry about Preference files since they take up such miniscule amount of space. That's the simplicity of a Mac!

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Some programs also install files inside the Library folder(s), don't forget...

6. UKMacBod macrumors member

Hmm... not entirely true, now, is it?! ;)

There are many Mac applications that install themselves inside the Applications Folder, the Library folder and some in other directories too.

Granted, for *most* apps it's OK to simply drag the app / app's folder to the trash, but I wish that MacOS X had a built-in 'uninstaller', that got rid of EVERYTHING left over by some apps...

7. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Actually,

Most Mac Apps do have more than one file and what you see in the Applications folder is actually a FOLDER not a file (ctrl click and do show contents). Any files put into the Library are really preference files (akin to but not as problematic as REGISTRY ENTRIES in Windows). There is no need for a built in installer and truth be told UK Mac Bod, the windows uninstaller usually just calls a uninstaller written by the developer and never really gets rid of "EVERYTHING left over". There are tons of hidden registry settings that no uninstaller gets rid of and just like preference files most Windows uninstallers don't even delete registry keys in case you reinstall. I actually think the simplicity of throwing away the App is better than Windows' buggy registry and uninstaller. You do not have to worry about Preference files as they do not even affect any other apps.

macboyX
    visit the site...www.macboyx.com

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

Actually MacBoyX that's only for Cocoa apps. Depends on what language the program was written in and stuff like that. And usually the complexity of uninstalling apps depends on the app. Some you only need to delete the program. Others the program and the plist file. And some more you have to delete a zillion things everywhere.

9. UKMacBod macrumors member

I realise that preference files and such like are nowhere near as complicated as the fun-and-joy that is Windows Registry. I was merely pointing out that simply dragging an App from the Apps folder to the Trash does not always get rid of all of the App.

10. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Uu-install

I'm sitting hear chuckling to myself, seeing all these "Actually" lines.
    Why don't you just wipe your hard drive and do a clean Install :>)
    problem solved :D

OK little sarcasm :rolleyes:

11. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

No, both carbon and cocoa applications are folders. Only classic applications don't do this, they have resources in their resource fork instead. Although there are probably a number of carbon application that break the 'rules' and have a resource fork.

12. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I guess I don't really consider Classic apps when I talk about OS X.

Also UKMacBod, I took the tone I did because you kinda suggested that Windows Add/Remove programs did. And to be honest, dragging the App to the Trash DOES get rid of the APP, preference files aren't technically part of the app, they are supporting files. LOL :)

It's all in good fun

macboyX

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

oh my bad then. i dont see a lot of those "show package contents" things in carbon apps though.

14. UKMacBod macrumors member

Well surely the 'supporting files' are all related to the App? I realise that just leaving those files there is OK, as it shouldn't do any harm to the system, but surely it would be 'cleaner' for everything related to the App to go at the same time, no?

15. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

They are really inconsequential and really I disagree. I like being able to reinstall the app and not lose my settings. I have had apps go wonky and just trashing the app and reinstalling has helped. Also it is nice when I went from iChat AV 2.0 to the junky (on my G5 at least) iChat AV 2.1 beta that I could revert and not lose my settings. No uninstaller can get rid of everything, when I used to write Windows uninstallers, it was so hard to get everything off the hard drive and out of the registry, I am not sure it's any easier with a Mac.

macboyX

16. amarch@mdcc.edu macrumors newbie

I do this often by hitting command-F and entering the name of the original program. eg Microsoft Word: enter microsoft word into the containns field and press enter. Doing so every single file starting with this name will be shown. Select all and drag to trash and that's it!. Oh, and do not forget to empty trash.
    Anthony

17. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Of course, that's considering the program author was kind enough to name all the components the same...

18. amarch@mdcc.edu macrumors newbie

No. All folders and files containing and made by a particular application (not the author) will carry the name of that application. Files uniquely named by the author will not carry the application's name. Therefore, a search made by the application's name will turn up all folders and files created by the application itself, and which are the files you would want to delete anyhow. The search will locate all such files and can be deleted as mentioned.

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

developers can specify their own identifier (therefore getting plist files that look like com.apple.Safari.plist), and theres an entire preference system in OS X, but basically it uses the application ID and your user name to do the entire thing. so yeah, if you do a search for the app name, the developer, the company or all files modified on a certain date, you'll probably have all the files you want to delete.

20. Dr.SMaC macrumors newbie

HELP!

Hi guys, I really need your help. Just switched over to macs, and I had 1 big problem already. I used FileVault to incript my home folder, and then I installed norton utilities, and i did a defrag, and all of a sudden, everything was lost, and its in this unrecoverable file called "drsmac.sparseimage". Now since then I unistalled Norton Utils, by dragging it to the trash can, not sure if this unistalled it....now when i use Disk Utility , and try to restore of fix the above disk image, it says there's errors....is my stuff gone for good, or can i restore it somehow, and is the norton fully unistalled? Thanks for any help in advance.

21. pbays macrumors newbie

How to uninstall

As long as we are talking about uninstalling: How do I revert to java 1.4.2 -- that is uninstall the "update" released thnis week?