Uninstalling Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mac15, Sep 29, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Since I sold my other mac, I have no need for Remote Desktop anymore, but the thing is I can't get rid of it, its like stuck i the system prefs, I've looked around for the files in the finder and nothing, so if anyone can help, please I need it

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I have some questions:

Server or Client?

OS X or OS9?

Do U have something to back up to?

3. bidge macrumors 6502

It's quite an expensive program to suddenly just say, oh, I don't need it any more.

If you try searching for remote and then deleting all the related files, for example the remote desktop preference pane.

It would be reather useful to know as mischief said, which version you are using. Especially the client or server part.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I installed Apple Remote Desktop on a Mac OS X 10.1 server and the Apple Remote Desktop client on some iMacs. When Software Update offered an updated version of Apple Remote Desktop, I took the bait and updated, only to find that the new version did not run correctly. To back it out, I had to find and remove all remnants of Apple Remote Desktop's new version so I could reinstall the older version. (Sorry, I forgot the version numbers involved.) I found that if I missed any files, the old version's installer would insist that I was doing an update and fail to install.

In addition to finding files to remove by searching for the word REMOTE, I found that I had to search for ARD, the abbreviation for "Apple Remote Desktop".

Finally, I had to remove ARD-related files in System:Library:Receipts.

I hope this helps.

5. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

it was in the coreservices folder in OSX, I had the server installed, thanks for that

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Sure, but that depends on WHERE and HOW you go it from... :p :D

irmongoose