Uninstalling Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billyergs, May 20, 2005.

1. billyergs macrumors member

Feb 16, 2005
    I was previously a windows user so bear with me..

What's the best way to uninstall software in OSX?

In windows, I'd just run the uninstaller if the program came with one or I'd use a third party unistaller program.
  2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    If the application came with an installer then, on rare occasions, you can run the installer to uninstall or run a separate un-installer...

Most of the times this is completely unnecessary, though, as almost every Mac app can be uninstalled by dragging the app to the trash and empty (when the app isn't running...)

If you want to clean out the preferences too, search (or browse ~/Library or ~/Library/Preferences) for any files called whatever the app is called and delete those too...

And try searching the forums next time you have a question, as this and most other questions have been answered more than once before... ;)
  3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    One of the coolest things about the OS X experience IMHO. When I have to install software on a Windows box, now I watch in horror as it throws EXE's and DLL's all over the freaking place. On OS X installation and uninstallation is usually just a matter of dragging the program to the Applications folder :D