Uninstalling Windows XP???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Iranian, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Iranian macrumors newbie

Hi all :)

I have 2 questions.

1) Will it matter if I have a Windows XP Home disc or Professional?

2) How would I go about COMPLETELY removing windows and its whole partition?

I am currently considering installing windows on my MacBook Pro, however I would like to know how to remove it completely, just in case I change my mind.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I cannot answer the first question as I only help people getting rid of Windows... ;)

From Boot Camp Installation and Setup guide

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

So long as it is Service Pack 2 or a slipstreamed Service Pack 2 it don't matter.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep removing xp is simple. Click bootcamp and select restore partition and your done. 1 click and xp bites the dust :D

5. fuzzn macrumors member

when it reverts back to the only-mac partition... it doesn't effect the data that you have on the mac already does it? it'll basically just delete all the windows stuff and leave the osx partition and contents intact, right?

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep your mac data remain perfectly intact. I've installed and uninstalled windows a couple of times for testing and my mac partition is still working alive and well wth no hiccups.

7. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies guys, and sorry I should have checked the installation notes of boot camp first...too lazy. :)

OK, is "slipstreaming" SP2 into an installation disk with SP1 easy to do? What does it involve?

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I know it's easy to do if you already have a Windows box but with only having a Mac I'm not sure. There are numerous threads on this in this forums though.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

V.True

If you dont have a windows brick lying around, you will need to install Parrallels & WinXP. A bit of a pain. Just search this forum for xp slipstream i'm sure you'll find the answers.. :)

10. Iranian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll do that.

11. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

Someone on this board said you can install windows without being SP2. What you need to do is put SP2 on a cd before you start the install and then install windows xp home or pro, after your done, remove the xp disk and install sp2 from cd. Then you will need to install the mac drivers afterwords. SP2 needs to be installed first before you install the mac drivers.

12. spodd macrumors newbie

hey

hey the info above is really useful.. thanks guys.. but one question. i am new to mac.. how to open boot camp assistant .. i am sorry for wating ur time.. but please if anyone could help me out.. it ll be really nice of u

13. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

How to open it? Go to Applications->Utilities and double click on Boot Camp Assistant.