uninstlaling programs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by passthejonch, Sep 13, 2003.

1. passthejonch macrumors member

i want to uninstall america's army the game

how would i go about doing this on my mac?

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Re: uninstlaling programs

Put it into the Trash. That's it.

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

One thing that's nice about Windows is the Add/Remove programs feature. I wish Mac had a similar feature. That way you could get rid of the prefs files, application support files, etc. without really trying.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

But the add/remove feature never removes everything. If what want to complete delete everything installed by a program you have to do it by hand (this includes getting into the registry).

Lethal

5. chadfromdallas macrumors member

Odd, I just removed Folding@home from this computer and it uninstalled it, and registry items. ;)

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

exception that proves the rule. ;) More often than after I perform a "remove" I get a dialog box saying that not all files were removed.

Lethal

7. chadfromdallas macrumors member

Ah, in that case, yea, you just have to go where the folder is and erase it. It usually tells you.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

And then I go and run a registry cleaning program which almost always finds entries for the programs that have been "removed."

Lethal

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the average pref file is about 5k. there's no reason to flip out if it's not uninstalled-- it takes no real disk space, and will be there again if you ever install the program again (in many cases, complete with serial number). So dragging to the trash is a fast and effective way of removing the app. In my windows experience, add/remove programs does not remove near enough, so you have to go through the extra step of "removing" the program, only to go remove things by hand. Usually, in some cryptic path that the average user can't follow from memory, so they don't bother.

pnw

10. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

whats easier:

windows:
    click on start, click on settings, click on control panel, double click on add/remove programs, scroll thru' list to find application, click remove, follow on screen prompts, wait 60s for app to remove, get told that not all files where removed, navigate windows to program files, find folder, attempt to delete folder, get error message saying folder is still in use, reboot, attempt to delete folder again

ok, as proved, that last chunk isn't always required but 50% of the time you have to delete folders manually

osx:
    hit shift+cmd+a
    find folder/app, ctrl+click >move to trash, OR cmd+backspace OR drag to trash

QED :D

11. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Hmmmmmm......tough choice. Most of my Windows friends don't understand how it could possible.

12. acj macrumors 6502

Actually on XP, you can just do what some people find more idiot proof than the whole concept of "dragging" to the trash. You press one key: Delete.

Or right click and click "delete"

Then it tells you that you are only deleting the icon, and provides you a link to remove the whole program. Deleting any little remaining files is not that necisary unless you are anal.

13. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

good point. however, that only works for shortcuts that the installer created and doesn't seem to work for 50% of the things in the start menu (the start menu - now that's a bloody stupid idea! i NEVER use mine!)

14. acj macrumors 6502

Another good point.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

does this way delete entries from the registry? I've only tinkered w/XP. I've been using Win2k for a few years now and haven't found a compeling<sp?> reason to change to XP.

Lethal

16. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

one of the things i like about osx is that the icon is the application. whenever i want to download a new program, i don't have to use an installer that places the file inside of some byzantine structure on the hard drive and then throws up "shortcuts" on the desktop/startmenu/etc.

17. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I have to agree with you. I like the fact the icon is the app not some obscure reference to it

18. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Oh I just wish that was always the case :)

Honestly, even though the OS was apparently designed to have application=icon, about 50% of the applications I have installed have to be found among their support files. If Apple could manage to get every developer to package their apps, that would be great...problem is, they don't :p

19. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Only Cocoa apps have that one-to-one icon-to-app ratio. Carbon apps still install their support files in a separate directory since they have to be compatible with OS9.

20. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

warning: rant below

Carbon apps CAN be put into OS X bundles -- Think iTunes. Actually, I've gone in with App Bundler and "packaged" several Carbon apps for personal use (so it is possible), but unfortunately, too many times developers put their programs into bundles and still leave their support files outside of the application bundle (i.e. ../../../<data file> relative to the application). AppleWorks does this -- There is an OS X-Style bundle, but then support folders sitting next to it. If they are going to leave required files outside of the package, I'd rather they not package them at all (so that I can go in and package them myself).

ATTENTION DEVELOPERS: EITHER FULLY BUNDLE YOUR SOFTWARE OR DON'T BUNDLE IT AT ALL

I'm presently working on a utility that basically tries to do exactly what I am describing--bundling a user's unbundles carbon apps into .app bundles, but like I said, STUPID DEVELOPERS LEAVE REQUIRED FILES OUT OF THEIR BUNDLES. App Bundler is as close to this as any program currently available -- but it's still kind of messy.