Unison 2 out

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cromulent, Jan 5, 2010.

1. macrumors 603

Oct 2, 2006
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    Unison 2 was just released for those of you who use Usenet quite a bit. It looks pretty good so far, although I am slightly annoyed they are charging an upgrade fee. It might even make me resubscribe to Giganews again.
  2. macrumors member

Mar 19, 2009
    I think it's a long time since they've put out a major upgrade like this (and they said it was complete rewrite, which I believe after using it for a couple of days), so I don't really begrudge them charging a modest upgrade fee. I find the new version much more intuitive to use and also "smarter" in that it seems really well designed for people who like to download binaries.

The one thing I don't understand is the auto unpar/unrar/join thing, which sounds great except I can't get it to work. The promo webpage for Unison 2 says "Built-in UnPAR/UnRAR/Join, no external tools needed." Almost everything I download is broken down with .par files yet Unison doesn't combine them after downloading; I have to run MacPar to do that... so either I'm not setting something properly or it's not doing what it says it will do.
  3. macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2007
    They fixed a bunch of stuff since your last post.
  4. macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2012
    I'm beginning a long learning curve after spending 15 years with Windows. I thought I had Unison configured correctly, set up to create individual folders for each category. When I tried to DL a single binary, it loaded up the folder with what looked like everything in the list and also renamed the files numerically. Where do I start with this. I was using NBPro with Windows, which let me select specific fles and it created a folder for each separate newsgroup that I downloaded from. I would like to get this to do the same but I'm stuck.