United 93 Movie (9/11)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by princealfie, May 3, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Just saw the movie United 93 directed by Paul Greengrass. Very emotionally riveting. I haven't seen anything that squirmed me since Passion of the Christ.

It caused me to remember the heroism of the people aboard that flight. Very much a tribute I think. Kudos to Mr. Greengrass for not exploiting 9/11.

2. Goliath macrumors regular

Goliath

I haven't seen the movie and September 11th was a tragedy BUT there is no way Flight 93 crashed at that scene.

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I dunno, the whole "Heros saving the white house by sacrificing themselves" smacks of propaganda to me.

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

is this the same movie that was shown on A&E a while ago?

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Right... its pretty implausible that normal people would actually act heroic or anything. Way to be cynical! Hey! At least nobody's gonna put one over on you!

Haven't seen it yet, but hopefully will get to this weekend.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Oh great. Here come the Conspiracy theories. Instead of keeping this thread civil and respecting how these people died and what they did for this country, we start the, " OMG the CIA or :insert U.S government agency: destroyed the WTC, sent a cruise missile into the Pentagon, and made a fake crash site in PA!" But, hey for all we know the Gov't is hiding the people of Flight 93 and 77 at Norad or some place else. :rolleyes: I saw the movie and I thought it was a great movie for what it stood for. it sure wasn't a money grabbing film like many speculated it was.

No. It is different, and much better, IMHO.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Though true heroes may be few, honor to whom honor, is certainly due.

8. Goliath macrumors regular

Goliath

Those people died heroes- sacrificing themselves for the greater good. America will not be defeated by global terrorism!

But wait we need a catchphrase- something to grab the audiences attention. "Let's roll!!"™

There is no way Flight 93 crashed in that woodland so I'm not disrespecting anyones memory by saying they did not die as "Hollywood Heroes"

There is no wreckage at that site that confirms a jumbo jet crashed there. It's not a dodgy conspiracy theory it's fact.

In 1971 OPEC decreed that all oil bought and sold in the world would be done only in US$.

In October 2000 Iraq, in it's oil for food programme instructed the French bank BNP to trade its oil in Euros.

The Iranian Central bank in 2001 switched its currency reserves to Euros.

And in 2002 North Korea said it would deal ALL of its commodity trading to Euros.

Then the chairman of OPEC tabled a motion that every OPEC country unilatterally switches from $ to Euros.

If that happened the dollar collapses as every Central Bank flushes its vaults of Dollars to buy Euros.

Now we have this global war on terror!

I live nowhere near the sea but I smell something very fishy!

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Most aircraft do not spiral at full throttle into the earth (the pilots are trying to control it/slow it down etc.), buildings or other solid matter, so there are no real benchmarks. Too much Spare Change I think.

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I've also heard that the movie presents a really negative picture of the so-called "terrorist" hijackers. I would have hoped that America had moved past such blatant anti-Muslim stereotypes.

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

The memories of living in DC on 9/11 are still too vivid, I don't feel the need to see the film.

That said, I've heard nothing but positive things about the piece.

To you folks littering the thread with "conspiracies" and "propoganda" claims, take it to the political forums.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, I remember watching the Pentagon burn from our rooftop and the streets being empty the next day...at noon.

I'll never forget that week. Surreal, really. :(

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

this is going to get us all moved to the political forum...

"SO CALLED"?!?!! WHAT WOULD YOU CALL THEM!?!?!?!

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

IRONY/SARCASM IS WHAT I WOULD CALL IT

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you're gonna have to explain this one to me...

for as long as i can remember, anyone who hijacks a plane is referred to as a terrorist... think PanAm, etc.

what else would we call it? are we supposed to sugar coat it and call them something else because they're muslim? i don't understand where lyle was going with it... or what you're talking about either for that matter...

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

seriously?

lyle was making a sarcastic comment in response to the person he quoted. i don't want to speak for him, but i interpreted as him taking issue with the person second guessing the labeling of the citizens on the flight who took action as "heroes". forgive me, lyle, if i'm wrong.

17. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I highly doubt they were "trying to save the president and whitehouse" but more heroically trying to save themselves as well as the other passengers on the plane.

If this is truly how they are trying to sell this flick then yes its propaganda and shame on them.

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

WOW!:eek: Your right, they were really the "Fun loving Muslim pilot bunch who are obviously misunderstood":confused:
    If I have learned anything from this site its that emoticons are your friend;) Use them if you are being sarcastic.

OMG! Please just stop it now! Were you there? Did you comb over the site? Was the only thing left the black box?
    WOW WOW WOW! Where did they crash then and what is the point of a cover up? Please enlighten us.... there were witnesses for g*ds sake. Normal inteligent people who witnessed this.

Cant wait!

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'm not going to see this film.

And it's not because I disagree with it, it's not because I'm some dumbass with a conspiracy theory, it's because it's such a harrowing experience. I will never forget what happened, and I've hear the entire publicized blackbox recordings of the flight, and that alone shook me.

I'm sure this is a great tribute to those on that plane, and they deserve it.

20. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

eh it's like the whole Jessica Lynch thing, just fits a little to perfect into the Good vs Evil angle that the Bush Administration seems to love so much. We're the good, the terrorist are the evil!

Just this broad brush of painting everyone on the flight as heros, I mean it's a life or death situation, yeah, your going do everything you can to try to survive, that doesn't make you a hero, it makes you human. It just seems to me that ever since that plane crashed into a field the Hero angle has been the only story associated with it. No one knows for sure what happened on that plane, so the hero story just seems a little fabricated.

21. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Have you heard the tape recording from the plane? It's pretty evident what's going on. You can hear the passengers start attacking the hijackers just before the plane starts going down. And from the sounds of it, the hijackers couldn't get the autopilot feature to work because one of the pilots, before getting his throat cut, broke the autopilot system.

The recordings will leave you a bit dazed.

22. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

oh yeah...because faking a recording can't be done in this day and age, not by the American Government

23. M-theory macrumors 6502

M-theory

I agree with you brother...I am not going to see the movie for the reasons you stated. Also, I live near the site of the crash and there is a wreckage, and now there is a memorial.

24. princealfie thread starter macrumors 68030

princealfie

I bet that many who aren't going to see it in theaters will eventually buy it on DVD.

25. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Umm....and how much wreckage was found at the WTC? I believe we all saw those hit right? Makes no sense that you would suggest that you need to see actual plane wreckage to justify the report of the plane crash and crater it left. I guess it's a classic example of no faith, must see to believe. It will be tough, but that's all I'll say on the matter.