United and Continental agree to merge

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by aethelbert, May 3, 2010.

1. macrumors 601

Although alluded to in other threads, United and Continental have officially entered the beginning of the merger process today. The United name will survive and the initial corporate image will be that of the current Continental.

press release (pdf)

It should be interesting to see how their networks set up, especially relative to the similarly-sized Delta.

2. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

The decision to keep the United name on Continental's livery is an interesting one. From a "how do we want to position this" POV, it sends a strong message that it is a merger in the truest sense, a blending of both cultures instead of an "absorption" of one into the other. Early indications seem to imply that the FF programs will turn into something not quite entirely all one or the other, as well.

From the perspective of a CO Million-Miler, I'm cautiously optimistic. Very cautiously. My flight options and possible earnings potential increase tremendously with my "new" carrier of choice, but I'm worried about losing benefits from that continued loyalty by either dilution or restructuring.

3. macrumors G3

dmr727

I'd be really surprised if this happens. You're an airline's bread and butter - if there's one segment of their customer base they'd be crazy to piss off, it'd be you.

4. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

If Gordon was still running the show at CO, I'd believe it. I don't count on Tilton or Smisek to really give a rat's ass if they've got the market essentially cornered. The upper one-percenters internationally, sure, but I'm only a one-percenter domestically. And I don't book Y or F consistently enough.

Wait & see I guess, but I'm putting in a double order of Lube™ anyway.

5. thread starter macrumors 601

Do you have any shot at getting to 1K with United? There is indeed a large gap in preferential treatment between premier exec and 1K, but the latter has given me a better reception than on any other airline with which I've ever traveled.

6. macrumors 68000

Love

I almost exclusively fly AC, and I'mnot really a frequent flyer (60,000 miles) I really don't care much about the business aspect, but is there anyone here who hates the new logo? ;)

7. macrumors 604

ravenvii

Me too, the old United logo looks clean and modern. The new logo looks outdated.

8. macrumors 6502a

See this "merger of equals" concept they are trying to sell just terrifies me. This just reeks of incessant corporate culture clashing, union fighting, and disillusioned frequent flyers.

9. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

Oh, I'll make 1K no sweat. I've been in this job 10 years. and made Platinum every one. I think my lowest travel year (28 weeks) was still 105K. Actually, if UA keeps raw segments, it's guaranteed. That's only 25 trips for me (two legs out, two back).

As opposed to the love and harmony of an outright takeover? ;)

Having been through some M&A tribulations both as an observer and participant, the approach they're taking is a breath of fresh air. It's now a matter of walking the walk.

10. macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm sure the pilots will find a way to muck up the whole situation!

11. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

12. macrumors 68020

It'll just mean one less flight number scrolling across when you fly on either airline - they're both Star Alliance members anyway.