Uniting the Mac Folding World !!!!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by jrrodeffer, May 27, 2006.

1. jrrodeffer macrumors newbie

jrrodeffer

First of all, let me say that this is NOT a post to recruit any individual folders. I am a member of Team MacOS X (Team #1971) and I have not been encouraged by anyone on my team to post this.

All contributions to folding benefit the science, first and foremost. But, that said, the team competition makes it interesting. As a dedicated Mac user, I would very much like to see the Mac folding "community" unite and show what Macs and Mac users can accomplish.

Now, the problem is that no team wants to "give up" their position, points, and forum. But, if Mac users as a community want to be competitive with the Windows and Linux teams, we must make sacrifices and unite. Team MacOS X is far enough in the lead, and the number 11 team in the world with multiple overtakes, to be considered the Number One Mac Folding Team under which we can all unite. It makes mathematical sense, but may be hard to accomplish, but nothing truly worthwhile is ever easy.

I look forward to a spirited discussion. :)

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

When Team MacOSX was the number 2 Mac team (before the Apple article), it made sense for all the teams to unite under the MacRumors banner but no one really wanted to do it then, either.

It won't happen but it's an interesting idea that keeps popping up. At least, we've all shown that we're not dead and put some ugly little threats from Cows and Dogs to bed.

3. jrrodeffer thread starter macrumors newbie

jrrodeffer

Yes, I was introduced to folding by the Apple article, I wasn't aware of DC projects at all. I found folding intriguing since my grandmother died from Alzheimers and my wife suffers from Celiac disease, an intolerance to wheat and gluten found in many grains. I fold to fight disease, but my competitive side enjoys the team interaction.

Since the Apple article, I think Team MacOS X's cooperative users and their total dedication to folding, software like Increase to help the whole Mac community, and the friendly forums have helped the team greatly. MacRumors has a wider selection of topics in your forums, which I find interesting. I think of all the Mac teams, MacRumors has the best website and forums, which could stand on their own, even if the Mac teams were consolidated. Other teams might be more threatened by unification, since they do no have the draws enjoyed by MacRumors.

And Macs are much better than Cows or Dogs, lol.

Let's hope the teams can unite and take down Goons, Egg Rolls, Reporters, a team with only 2 CPU's, and an Angry team, all of whom Team MacOS X is overtaking, although most are down the road just a little, even more reason to unify. :)

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

After the article and growth of Team MacOs X there was a lot of talk about consolidating the two Mac teams. Some of the MacRumors folders also switched. But the majority of our team wants to stay independant, as for I. Nonetheless I looked earlier this week what the possibility is when we consolidate to one big Mac team. We could be in the top 5.

5. jrrodeffer thread starter macrumors newbie

jrrodeffer

Just with the folding power of Team MacOS X and MacRumors, we would be in the top 5 in fairly short order. Imagine what could happen if we united the rest of the Mac teams, Top 3 ???

6. ionisation macrumors newbie

i keep looking at the charts and thinking that the mac folders somewhere way down the list should join us. i personally think that MacOS X are fine as they are, but we however could do with and extra 10k a day.... especially at the moment since we have dropped below 50k per day. i wish they would...

oh well. it's all for a good cause etc.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Way before people were discussing unification, I took a look at the other teams and talked to members on MacNN, MacMinute, MacAddict, and MacCentral. Most of them didn't even have enough of a group to answer. I think they'd just left folding going by accident.

I'm still happy to see that this team isn't stuck at number 33/35 anymore. We made some really good progress.

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

We could also use th eextra 10K per day. And because you are now producing under the 50K a day, we will assimilate you! Resistence is futile!:D HAHAHAHA

9. ionisation macrumors newbie

i don't understand - i am part of the mac rumors team.

10. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Owh, sorry, thought you where a part of that other Mac team. :D It's a bit confusing with members of Team Mac os X that also post in this thread. That explains a lot! Don't matter do, we will assimilate you! Resistance is futile!! :p

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I would be interested in having this happen. I think if we made this the official forum, and did some change to the Team Mac OS X site to "merge" the teams. I know standford is not usually willing to change team names. But I think I will shoot them an email and see if they are at all willing to do something like this.I would love for us to shoot up in the ranks.
    EDIT: So you can change your team name. But we would have to leave our old team points behind. Do user points follow you if you switch teams?

12. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

User points will follow you, but not in the (new) team ranks. But overall, they will!

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So do any other folders have any thoughts? jrrodeffer could you get some team mac os x people thinking of the idea. I think if we renamed team mac os x (or kept it the same) and merged sites. I would be willing to switch to team mac os x. I have a feeling many macrumors team members will feel the same. However I think the name of the team should be something that has something to do with macrumors as it will be our only folding team. What do the folding mods here think?

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

15. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

What's the point? If anything, this discussion shows our weakness in numbers.

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Interesting idea jrrodeffer. It would be cool to see a united Mac folding team. :)

17. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

I'd say that combining teams would be pretty good. As a whole we're not going to increase much the way things are, combining will definitely give us a leg up. Either way i plan to keep folding :cool: ...although i'm down two processors now :(

18. meeble macrumors member

i don't think it will ever happen.

that being said, if we could get a consensus among all of the heavy folders for MR, i would be willing to merge into another team...

meeble