Univeral Binary for Warcraft III

Discussion in 'Games' started by fekimoki, Aug 9, 2006.

1. fekimoki macrumors member

Jun 2, 2006
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    hi guys,
    i was wondering, how about we making an online petition so blizzard agree to make the ub patch for warcraft 3?

below is email transcript between blizzard support & me, buzzing about ub

Sorry for the interuption, please tell the Warcraft III team to make Universal Binary, so it can run smoothly on Mactel. I just want to play Warcraft III smoothly on my recently bought MacBook. And I believe there are thousands of Mactel users wishing the UB for Warcraft III to be released by Blizzard.
    Thanks in advance. Peace.

I believe that there is the possibility of a UB for Warcraft III but unfortunately I do not have any further information at the moment. At this time we have not announced plans to release a Universal Application update for our older titles to natively support Intel Macs. All existing titles that natively support Mac OS X (StarCraft and later) will run on Intel-based Macs via the Rosetta binary translator included with Mac OS X.

Diablo II and StarCraft players will need to use the Mac OS X Native Installer to install and play the game on Intel-based Macintosh computers. Recent shipments of Diablo II and StarCraft include a Mac OS X Native Installer on the installation discs. However, players without a Native Installer on their installation disc may need to download the installer from our website at the following links:

-Diablo II: (http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/diablo2/patches/Mac/Diablo_II_Installer.dmg).
    -StarCraft: (http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/starcraft/patches/Mac/StarCraft_OS_X_Installer.dmg).

Currently, the following titles cannot run on Intel-based Macs since a Native Installer or Universal Application update is not available:

-Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
    -Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
    -Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
    -Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition

If you are interested in a Universal Application update to our existing software, feel free to suggest this in the Suggestions forum at - (http://www.battle.net/forums/board.aspx?ForumName=suggestions).

Peter N.
    Blizzard Entertainment

If you reply, please include all previous text and files related to this e-mail. Please note the Tech support email system does not support read receipts.
  2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    Well it would be cool to see a UB. But I dont know what blizzard would get out of it? How much money are they still making off of the game? One could esily boot into windows and play the game since the disks install on both os x/ xp. But hey if they release a UB I'm all for it. Once I get my MBP I'd be happy ;)
  3. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    I doubt that enough people are buying it for them to justify making a UB. I see no reason for them to do it. What's the need for a UB. It ran fine on my 800Mhz iMac G4, so I don't really see any of the Intel Macs having any sort of problems running it.
  4. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    Intel are always sponsoring the tournaments on b.net, they should show some support ^.^
    i'd like to see an update so is plays better on my MBP
  5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    Does it really not play all that well on your MBP? Seems odd to me. The game runs great on my 600mhz G4.
  6. Edot macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2002

The game does not run great on your 600mhz G4. Sorry but some people's standards are much higher than others. I have a similar machine, so I know. And besides using Rosetta causes a major performance hit. I would assume that games see a bigger hit than normal apps.
  7. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    good luck.
    i have seen posts stating the Diablo2 was going to have a universal or was it open GL patch for 9 months now.
    so even if you get something form Blizzard saying yes, it may not happen as fast as you would like.
  8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    From what I could gather from posts shortly after the MacBook Pro and iMac, it runs fine in Rosetta at 1600x1050 (I think that's the res) with high quality. WC3 was never the most intensive game
  9. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    They must be playing small two player maps, then. If you get into a large battle, it is just about unplayable. And this is on a 2.0GHz Intel iMac.
  10. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    Before I got my MBP I had an 800 MHz TiBook (though with twice the RAM) and it ran about the same. Not good enough to play DotA's etc. properly. I'd have hoped it would be ok on a 1.83 core duo -.-
  11. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
  12. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    (mistake post)
    (is there a way to delete these?)
  13. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    Let the boy dream!:p
  14. rbarris macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2003
    Irvine CA
    There's really no need for the petition. We're well aware of the strong desire for a UB of Warcraft III. We do appreciate the reminder, and it is being actively investigated. Note that - unlike WoW - the task is somewhat more complicated for Warcraft III because it runs on MacOS 9, 10.2, 10.3.x also.

Rob (Mac Team @ Blizzard)
  15. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    Thanks for stopping by and letting us know what's going on! It's nice to hear directly from the company like this. Do you think there's much chance of a UB update? Or possibly a Warcraft IV for people on panther or later ^.^ though i'd assume that would have to be a long way off at this point...
  16. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I hope Blizz releases a UB for Warcraft III, it would be a nice diversion from WoW.

Honestly Warcraft III does run on most machines, but will all the candy turned on it runs well on very few machines. I have a 1.67ghz PB G4, with the upgraded video card and the game lag spikes if I max the res and all the effects on maps like DOTA or NOTD.
  17. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    Actually, I think that Warcraft 3's performance is not so good on the mac as it is on the PC. It doesn't run acceptably well in my 1GHz iMac G4 with GeForce 4 MX inside. I have 700+ RAM inside it.

Anyway, I hope we all see Warcaft's performance being upgraded soon. Although having a game to run on 3 systems (PPC OS X, Intel OS X, and OS 9) is not as easy a task as it sounds...
  18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I'd like to see a UB just for the hell of it, but since I upgraded to 2 GB RAM, it runs absolutely flawlessly on my macbook.
  19. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Aug 19, 2002
    Boston, MA
    It runs amazingly under Windows on my MBP ;)

But yeah, a UB would be much better. Diablo II, as well: 256 colors sucks.
  20. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I thought diablo has support for 32-bit color (millions of colors). I play with 32-bit color on my machine since the very first release of it.
  21. Lemming macrumors newbie

Dec 24, 2003
    There is a problem with Diablo II on the Intel macs where you have to use the software rendering mode, which I assume is limited to 256 colors based on admiraldennis' comment.
  22. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    Everyone should email web.support@blizzard.com asking for a UB of WC3. I already did :)

I don't know why they wouldn't update it.. it's such a popular game still.
  23. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    I can play Warcraft III just fine on my Intel iMac. I didn't notice any issues with choppiness or anything.
  24. Antares macrumors 68000

Warcraft III runs great on my Intel iMac with all the settings at their highest. Of course, I'm comparing this to running the game on my PowerBook G3 at 500 mghz (OS 9)....Now that was barely playable (even at the lowest settings and with other effects turned off)....The last level was nearly impossible.
  25. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004