Universal Confirms iTunes Contract Change

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 5, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Macworld.co.uk confirms an earlier rumor that Universal would not be renewing their long term contract with Apple fur iTunes music distribution.
    Macworld.co.uk suggests that this Universal may be interested in offering exclusive music to other online services besides iTunes, in an attempt to reduce Apple's control of online music distribution.

Article Link
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2002
    prepare to revolt....

What horrible news. Universal is really just hurting themselves in this one.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    No biggie. iTunes customers won't notice a difference.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007
    Brighton, East Sussex, UK
    this is really bad, i hope its not the start of a slippery slope for iTunes :(
  5. macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2007
  6. macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2003
    These are the same guys who get paid for each Zune sold...
  7. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    San Francisco
    meh, guess I won't be buying Universal music. I like itunes more than I like Universal.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

START YOUR PIRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.... idiots.

See Hand....
    See Feeding...
    See Biting...

...again, idiots.....
  9. macrumors regular

Oct 10, 2002
    For a regular iTunes/iPod user, it's like universal saying, "Ok, pirate our music because we're not going to make it available to you legally any longer in your preferred/known venue."

Wow, stupid.
  10. macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    It will be an interesting, 750 million dollar experiment.
  11. macrumors member

Jan 5, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah - I don't get that at all. Why do they get a dime? How arrogant can they be? They should concentrate on finding and nurturing good artists with longevity in their careers instead of these short lived rappers and bubblegum pop stars. Basic business practice - good product at a fair price = sales and profit.
  12. macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2006
    So wait -- Universal's only goal in doing this is to reduce Apple's control of online music distribution? I don't understand -- they don't like the fact that Apple does it so well? That Apple's so successful? That Apple probably brings Universal a lot of money? Something doesn't make sense here...

Oh I see -- I just read the article. They're not happy with Apple's fixed pricing. They're greedy and want flexible pricing. I get it now. Greed makes more sense, I guess. :rolleyes:

Well if they really want to go that route, that's their business. Something tells me they'll be shooting themselves in the foot, though. I'd hate to be the poor bands who end up getting exclusives on some other online music service, and then not doing as well because no one wants to bother using that service...
  13. macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2006
    Now under the premise that "lawyers" and other greedy entities are behind this. Read "mo' money." Make a choice to say your opinion:

1- their lost
    2- let's see where is this going...
    3- ...

Or maybe this is too big to see it from a micro level: our little iPods and corners where we buy music on iTunes.

About the "iTunes dominance" term, it seems to be a more tabloid title or something from Reuters.
  14. macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2007
    From an apple point of view, the concern is whether or not the path from music store to Ipod is 'easier' than music store to [zune|sandisk|rio|whatever] If the competition make it easier to download stuff to a non iPod than to an iPod, thats where it will hurt.

But if I can buy something, load it into iTunes, and upload it into my iPhone,
    I can live with the competition, and I think ITMS can too.

What [I hope] Universal will find out, is that if you don't place your product where everyone is going to buy it, you ain't gonna sell it. Do I want to buy music from 2 stores, one with 65% of my music,[ 50% of my movies, and all my podcasts], and the other site that has 30% of my music... I'll probably stop shopping at the Universal store before I stop shopping at iTMS... and do what I do now... dash down to the pawn shop/used book/CD store and look for the music I can't find on ITMS.

What would be great if is all music labels build compatible stores that can be front ended by a single application that can peruse site contents ala pricegrabber.com and use a single credential/purse to buy stuff from... Heck Apple should offer to build that for free like Amazon Shopping... and link it up against ITMS... let the labels build their own libraries, their own price points, and let apple aggregate the shopping cart/experience. Then everyone gets what they want. Of course, if Universal charges $5.00 for the next U2 single, the market will be up in arms, but under their agreements, it's probably 'legal' (weasely, but legal... wait, those are just synonyms).
  15. macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    Perth, Western Australia
    I wonder what impact (if any) this would have on their catalogue currently available through iTunes.

Oh well I guess we will find out shortly.
  16. macrumors 601

Jul 7, 2006
    I think you guys are all confused ...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it - Universal is changing the contract so that they are no longer exclusive with iTunes. iTunes will still be selling Universal's music ...
  17. macrumors member

Mar 30, 2005
    Yes, I'm somewhat excited to watch what happens with this. You know Universal will be tracking the change in their sales.

I wonder if any of Apple's changes in their demands sparked this or if Universal is really just wanting to challenge Apple's power.
  18. macrumors 68030

Mar 13, 2007
    As a consumer I wouldn't be worried. Just think...the first Artist or new album Universal decides not to put on iTunes....that artist won't stand for it.

All this is is Universal wanting more money...and it's ridiculous.

19. Guest

Jul 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    They just don't get it.

iTunes has renewed my interest in commercial music. There have been instances where I actually bought a CD that was only partially offerred on iTunes. If Universal pulls out, then it's a very safe bet I won't be purchasing their artists' works any more.
  20. macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2006
    UGHHH Scary!!!

21. macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2007
    dinosaours at work

this a perfect example of how retarded, greedy, moronic managment drives an industry down under and at the same time will promote pirating music.:eek:
  22. macrumors 6502

May 27, 2007
    The old guys at Universal just don't get it.

They do not grasp the fact that Apple is doing them a big favor by offering their music through iTunes, which Apple earns little or no profit from.

If Universal pulls out of iTunes, the consumers will likely do what they need to do to get the music -- by pirating Universal's music.

No one is going to sign up with Microsoft and Zune or Nokia or whatever just to get Universal's music.

Consumers are one click away from pirating -- and Apple and iTunes are the only thing keeping them away from doing just that.

Never bet against the winning team at Apple.
  23. macrumors member

Aug 8, 2004
    Manchester, England
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people think they know what they're talking about when they clearly don't.

This is about preventing another monopoly, which is never good for business. If things stay the way they are Apple will end up with too much power. Regardless of who it is, a monopoly is a bad thing.

Just because it's Apple everybody here seems to think it'd be OK!
  24. macrumors 6502

May 27, 2007
    You are the one without a clue regarding what you talk about.

Do you know how many percent of the music on digital players are downloaded through iTunes?

Less than 10%. Apple/iTunes are far from being the monopoly. They merely offer a way for consumers to get their music legally.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2007
    College Station, Tx
    Hey i have no idea what tha fuss is about. They are just redoing the contract. Its not like they are eliminating all of their music off of iTunes. However it is a stupid idea to end a long term deal.