Universal: Halo or Unreal 2004?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sinsinnati, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Sinsinnati macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

I am a big fan of Unreal Tournament 2004. I have probably played it more then any other game ever on my old Windows box. I converted to Mac last year with a Mini and now have a 24 inch iMac with the 7600GT video card so I can play games again. I was wondering which universal binary game I should invest in, Unreal 04 or Halo? I have never played Halo but was wondering if it is a better game then Unreal. How are the universal binaries of these games? Any problems? Which game has better graphics?

Thanks for your help.

2. Surf and Turf macrumors regular

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The UniBin of UT04 is great (runs just fine on my *cough*slightlyunlegal*cough* Mactel), and I'd say that it's the more fun game, with all sorts of mods and stuff. UT04 will have the better graphics, as expected of a newer game, and, IMO, far greater replay value. Also, from what I remember, the Halo UniBin costs you $5 on top of the game, so that's a big downer.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

As a game, UT2004 is far better that Halo, in all terms of gaming, except story (since it doesn't have one).

In terms of performance, Halo was never good. UT2004 has been ported by Ryan Gordon, one of the best porters out there. And, in my experience, UT2004 performance is excellent, even on mid-term hardware.

5. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

You can get UT2004 for $25 for $30 on Amazon, maybe cheaper on eBay. I'd get both. Call of Duty 2 and Quake 4 are also good for their newer graphics to show off your nice new iMac.

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Unreal Tournament 2004 Hands down. I only wish I had the room on my macbook to run it :( I miss that game .

7. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Another vote for UT2004 here. As mentioned above, Halo has the story, but UT2004 is way more fun, IMHO. That said, Halo is not without its charm, and you might be able to find cheap copies of both games now.

8. Sinsinnati thread starter macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

Thanks for the replies. You sold me, Unreal 2004 it is...

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Halo has a good single player. I've never played it multiplayer but people seem to like it. :)

UT2004 has as much of a "single player" as original UT or Quake 3 Area. Which is fine, but all it is is practice for online play. The bots can be hard but they're not very smart, making for pretty non-varied battles.

I don't know who ****ed up so bad with programming Halo but it still runs poorly on today's hardware (look at what machine I have, and it ran VERY poorly with high quality graphic settings... sure it'd run ok on lower settings but it's a 5 year old game, c'mon!!!) and doesn't look anywhere good enough to run that way.

UT2004 seems a lot more like the first UT which I really liked a lot. I demoed UT2003 and thought it sucked, so I'm glad they made 2004 better.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Halo is stupid. I remember when it was called Half-Life. :rolleyes:

UT2K4 is a great game and looks fantastic.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

12. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

I wouldnt buy UT yet, the new version is coming soon.

13. Sinsinnati thread starter macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

Anyone want to trade a PC version of Unreal for a Mac version? ;)

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yeah, in another 2 years for us Mac-users

15. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

The UT2004 Demo was released for Mac before the PC version.

16. aquanutz macrumors regular

yeah. ut before halo... halo didn't do it for me.