universal ms office?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ero87, Feb 26, 2006.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    I'm considering ordering a new intel mac mini on tuesday (i'm feelin' lucky), but I'm wary of the Rosetta slow-down. I plan to use MS Office pretty frequently, does anyone know if a Universal version is on its way? If so, when?
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    MS has not made a promise date. The next version of Office is expected...probably towards the end of this year or early next year.

It might be then, since Office runs under Rosetta. My guess would be that they're too busy developing Office:Mac 12.

Which means poo on MS, although it puts them in the good company of other things that don't have announced promise dates in the switch to Intel, such as the Mac Mini. :p

EDIT: Sorry, this is a rumors site. Mac:Office 12, Universal Binary, Tuesday, 9AM Pacific Standard Time. Announcement video to be available in the iTunes store. :) At the same time, the iPod will get 25% thinner and store at least 5,000 more songs, and will also begin to come with an iSight built in. :)
  3. rehlers macrumors member

Feb 13, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ - USA
    I have a MacBook Pro and while I haven't timed it, I would say office under rosetta runs the same or faster than it did natively on my Mac Mini 1.5Ghz G4. I use Entourage (part of the Office:Mac suite) all day for work and I have noticed no slow down with it. The only time it seemed to be sluggish was when I loaded up a huge document in word, scrolling up and down wasn't so great. I wouldn't let the rosetta thing scare you off from Office on intel, it really does work very well.
  4. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    Last time I heard it was coming out on March. But since it's M$ you can add a couple of months to that date.
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    In March 2006, Microsoft is supposed to release a PPC-only update of Office 2004. It is anyone's guess when the Redmond Monopoly will release the next version of its office suite. It is my guess that the Windows version will come first because the last Windows version was Office 2003.