Universal Torrent Client

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zorg, Jun 14, 2006.

1. zorg macrumors regular

Can someone please tell me some Universal torrent clients? Thanks.

2. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

3. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

meh,... it sucks....

utorrent shjould be ported to mac..

5. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

It does what I need it to do and I get better speeds with it than with other clients I've tried.

6. LittleJoe macrumors regular

The Intel Mac version of Azureus works great for me.

7. Errk! macrumors 6502

I'm running an Intel Mac and using the original Bittorrent client.

Are there any clients which let you pick and choose files from a torrent to download? I know there are for Windows (although I don't recall the names of any of them) but I don't believe I've seen or heard of one for Intel Macs.

8. LittleJoe macrumors regular

Azureus allows you to pick and choose which files in the torrent you would like to download and the download location before the download starts.

9. FirePak macrumors regular

I also wish Utorrent would be ported over, Transmission is a really nice simple program tho. I seem to go back and forth between it and Azureus. I bought Acquisition because it suported torrents but it is seriously the slowest torrent client ive ever used. I emailed the dev and basically only got a rude response in return.

10. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I think that's what I like about Transmission -- the simplicity. There isn't 53984398 settings like there are with Azureus on my windows machine. This afternoon I was downloading some por... files at about 460k/sec over my wireless network on my MPB. I tried the same torrent a second time with Azureus on my windows machine (which is on a wired connection) and could only muster ~240k/sec. I'm sure it has something to do with my settings, but I really didn't want to take five hours to set everything up.

11. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Transmission is nice for quick/public trackers but most of the good/private trackers block it.

Azureus is the best if only for the SafePeer plugin. ;)

12. FirePak macrumors regular

I just downloaded the .6 version of transmission and wow its pretty nice. Some UI changes, some added settings but it still retains its simplicity. You should all check it out.

13. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

But you can't disable DHT with Transmission, which they strongly recommend. ;)

14. azwandi macrumors newbie

macbook and torrent

just would like to know,
    is the macbook safe for torrent? u know, downloading from torrents may take hours.. :rolleyes:

15. dav macrumors 6502

uTorrent will never be ported to Mac. It is impossible.

16. Errk! macrumors 6502

Any others? I downloaded Azureus and installed it, and every time I try to run it it just bounces in the dock for a few seconds then disappears. I tried the current and last releases and got the same result.

17. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

anyone else have issues trying to "quit" azureus? I have to force quit it everytime....other than that it works great though, ,on PPC that is...

18. FirePak macrumors regular

If your running an Intelmac make sure you downloaded the correct build. I think someone linked it above, otherwise it wont run at all.

19. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Agreed. Could handle torrents better but it's nice for now.

Bits On Wheels is pretty good. So is Azureus.

20. Paranoidmarvin macrumors newbie

Paranoidmarvin

I find that the Only bittorrent client that works well for me is Azerus. Transmission is ok, but I always get very slow transfers and peers don't connect properly. And I do have all my ports set up correctly

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

Correction: there are no Mac devs that are working on utorrent right now. If you have plenty of C++ experience, please go talk to ludde in #utorrent on p2p-irc (google).

This must be the 5th time I've said this on these forums, but:
    The above applies to (at least and most importantly) Transmission and Bits on Wheels, which seem to be the two most popular torrent apps here, but also two of the worst, two that might just possibly get you banned on certain sites as well.

I just dare someone to compare utorrent with Transmission or something, I assure you you will probably see the worst of me there is to see. Transmission is an oversimplified pile of crap. uTorrent is a polished, gorgeously beautiful client rivaling Azureus in terms of features.

Thank you. :)

22. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I don't know why, but I can install Azureus, but can't get it to run. I have a recent enough Java etc. Very strange.

Because of this, I have been using Transmission, an app that actually does exactly what I need...i.e. it downloads non-copyrighted music for bt.etree.org

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

Have you deleted everything that has to do with Azureus and then reinstall the universal binary version?

24. mattyjlanger macrumors newbie

slow torrent speed

I am averaging aroun 6 kb/s download and i'm on an 8megabit connection. I am using azerus on a new intel mac and have opened port 6881. Please help... and turned off firewalls in system prfs (also adding the port)

25. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I sorta skimmed the thread to see if BitRocket was mentioned, and I don't think it was.

I use BitRocket, and despite a few beta quirks works extremely well, IMO.

http://www.bitrocket.org/