university + IT

Discussion in 'Community' started by oreo, Jun 24, 2004.

1. oreo macrumors member

I didn't know where to post this..... it's a bit of a rant.

I'm returning to uni after having a year out. No-one used laptops during class everyone always writes things on paper, when I was at uni last. It wasn't until I started visiting here that I noticed that people who are at college seem to take their laptops in & use them during class. I was planning to use mine in the library, as the college pc's are old, slow & their is not enough of them. I asked my tutor if I was able to use my iBook during lectures, as I find it quick to type that to write & was told that I couldn't, due to the putting off other students with the noise. I'm at loss, have they not noticed how much chatting goes on during lectures.

My other moan is I was looking to see if they had any kind of wireless networking set up, which came as no surprise to see they didn't, but when advising about a computer to get for using in a dorm room & connecting to the network, they even say what size monitor to get!!!!! Came as no as well to see that Mac's aren't even mentioned, from what I can remember from the start of the course, they told us we had to use a PC, as everything had to be emailed. One of the girls in my group even said that she was either going to have to do all her work at the college or get a PC. I can see me having some fun with the IT classes, when we are required to do them, as last time I know more than the lecturer's.

I think the biggest joke is that the uni does have some heavily based IT courses, movie courses & computer animation. I can't believe how behind the uni is.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wow sorry, that sux, sounds like your uni is stuck in the stone ages, somewhere in the mid 90s

3. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Both situations seem to be a good place to employ the maxim: It’s easier to get forgiveness than permission.

You're doing the courteous and responsible thing to ask before bringing your laptop to class, but it sounds like everyone else is just bringing them without asking, and it doesn't sound like they're being told not to.

Likewise with the network. Chances are that unless the university installs some kind of billing or access software that's Windows-specific, your Mac will work just fine. And when the clueless ask what computer they should bring, of course the IT folks are going to try to get everyone on a single configuration so they can do support more easily.

Just try using your Mac the way you want to, and you can save worrying about getting a PC until you're sure you have to.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Attention high schoolers! Two of the questions worth asking when you choose a college are "what kind of on-campus network is there?" and "are Macs given full support?" You might even ask for statistics: "What percentage of students have notebook computers?"

It's just a fact of life that some unis are behind the pack.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    im in a uni where macs arent officialy supported, but hey i dont care id rather go unsupported and figure out my issues on my own; which have been 0 so far :)