University president's bio smeared on Wikipedia site

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Nice, huh? [​IMG]

I guess you can see where the motivation to smear Zimpher probably came from, but it takes a really small, petty ***hole to carry out something like this.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Welcome to WWW. People show less restraint when they aren't accountable. Despite this massive flaw, I still like Wikipedia and use it all the time. Just don't take it as gospel without confirming the facts from other sources.
  3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wiki can nice for general info, but it shouldn't be considered a reliable source w/o confirmation, IMO, especially when you start getting into more in depth research.

4. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    Editing Wiki articles makes one a l33t hax0r?
  5. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003

For serious research, it must be noted that the same goes for any general encyclopedia, such as World Book or Britannica. Specialized literature is greatly preferable.
  6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    At least with printed, non-editable material, you can be sure that some random whacko hasn't come along and changed it just to be annoying. As far as I can tell, Wikipedia is 100% useless for that reason.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Better go confiscate Bob Huggins' computer. For the record though, it wouldnt surprise me if she really was a witch.
  8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    I wondered the same thing when I read that line.
  9. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    I don't think much has changed really. Before, people would make websites devoted to smearing people. It hasn't changed that much. Shame that Wikipedia is just a convenient forum in which this stuff can happen.

Basically, what needs to be done is instead of stopping Wikipedia, more people need to get involved so that more people are moderating the entries so that stuff like this gets picked up quicker.

The one thing I wonder though is how obscure was this article, I know in the case of the one guy whose entry was changed to make him out to be the Kennedy asassin, his article was not linked to any other articles at all, meaning it was obscure and less likely to be seen/edited.