University researchers challenge Bush win in Florida

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 18, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

for those who haven't been looking at such things, ever since the election there have been reports of this kind and others, all pointing to something fishy. it's starting to move from the fringe sites more to the mainstream. aside from the content of such stories, i'm quite interested in how the media decides to handle it all.

i stick by my pre-election assertion that kerry won the popular vote by 6-8%.

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

My guess is it will have to come to something quite serious before anything is done about it. Bush supporters just don't seem to care as long as they get their way. The morality of the GOP falls to new levels on a daily basis and it costs them little politically. As shown by their media heroes who are completely unscrupulous in the methods they use, and yet are as popular as ever.

It's disturbing, but it has to reach a critical point at some stage. It's just a matter of how much people are willing to let slide, which may depend on how much people know, unfortunately.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I find this electronic voting troubling, and should every voter regardless of the candidates that they support. This time it is rumblings of Republican wrong doing, next time it can be Democratic wrong doing.

The question as to why any party would try to cheat an election is not one of power, though that is part of it - but with power comes money. As long as we allow campaigns to be defined by huge budgets, we will have troubles at the ballot box.

4. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

I am also not a fan of E-voting, as it is apparently being done. I think a "paper trail" of sorts should exist regardless of the voting technology in case a count is ever called into question due to very small margins of victory. Many places have laws that trigger automatic recounts if the margin of victory is within a certain percentage range.

That said, I think this subject has been beat to death in various threads within his forum (here, here, and here) and a number of news and on-line outlets. The answer basically keeps coming back to "The GOP did not steal the election, and if they had, the army of lawyers sent out by the Democratic party to monitor the elections would have had a field day with it."

A recent article has what is perhaps my favorite quote on this:

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Just not how sure the "paper trail" would prevent electronic voter fraud. Despite the issues in Florida in 2000, I think paper ballots are the safest way to protect voters rights. Even if they don't understand the issue of a "dimple" or "hanging chad" vote.

As we move forward as a nation, I see close elections to be the norm on both sides of the aisle for many years to come. Having electronic voting seems to be inviting disaster. The "lever" voting that I was used to provided some "comfort"; but regardless of the rancor in FL. in 2000, it provide comfort to me that paper ballots were available to look at contested races.

We had electronic voting this year in Fairfax County VA. It took most voters on an average of almost 2 minutes each to cast their votes for President, Congress, and five local issues. Maybe I am tech savvy (but so is most of my area, by the numbers), but it took me about 45 seconds to cast my votes. Makes me wonder about the process at times.

There is another side to electronic voting. And that there is big money in hi-tech. And where there is big money, there is big contributions to both parties. I will also make the assumption that replacing voting touch screens is a continuing revenue source for these companies. Better profit than on punch card voting machines.

I see a "marriage" of both technologies. Punch cards that then could be read if a voter wanted to verify that their choices had registered.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Civil Union, surely?

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL, I used marriage the way I did ("marriage") since marriage seems to be such a scared term now. Someone needs to alert the media about the use of "marriage" in the press (like, "the KMart and Sears marriage is one of comning strong product lines").

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Freudian slip (vs. "sacred")?

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL.. I guess so.

When will we have a spell check that knows what we meant? :)