Unix commands

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Rajj, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I want to know is there anyway to implement disk defragmentation via terminal or cmd=+s?

I know fsck -y just fixes the files, is there any other commands that I can use?

Thanx

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Re: Unix commands

Good question, I don't recall any if the UNIX based systems having defragmentation utilities. I'm assuming all OSes would need them.

3. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

there have been a few other threads on defragmentation in osx. there are some command line defragers for unix oses but i'm not sure if they work with the hfs+ filesystem. right now, drive10 and diskwarrior seem to be the only way to defrag hfs+ volumes reliably, but it would be really nice to have a free defragger, but keep in mind that the mac filesystem is more resistant to fragmentation than the windows one. my roomat has to defrag about once every 2-3 months, where as i have to defrag... well... i dont really have to defrag.

edit: there's another thread on this topic here
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11157&highlight=defrag

4. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I agree to certain extent, but I wan't to keep Jaguar running smooth, cause I do a lot of downloading and installing on my system;)

One other thing, I was playing with a Dual Gig with Jaguar and I noticed that it was running slower than my Tibook 400 with Jaguar and 512mb ram!!

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

second drive or partition

I like to keep my system drive running smooth so I use a seperate partion and/or a seprate drive to do all my other work on. Downloading, file conversion, PhotoShop scratch disk, temp files, swap, etc... all on a seperate drive and/or partitions. When I think that my disk has been abused too much.. I just newfs it and I dont have to worrie about my system disk. I even have dedicated swap partition on a second drive so swap does not fragment my system drive. I have seen a proformace boost doing all this... the slowest part of you system .. is your drive. If you can read and write at the same time (to and from diffrent drives) You are going to save a lot of seek time.

-evildead

6. mmcneil macrumors regular

Re: second drive or partition

I had a separate drive setup for swap under 10.1.5 but it doesn't seem to work under 10.2 - I got it to work once and the next time it booted we were back to square 1:(

7. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I also have my system separate from my other items!! But I seen a thread on how to make Jaguar faster, but I can't find it!!:mad:

8. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: Re: second drive or partition

strange... you upgraded to 10.2 right? I upgraded and my swap partition was still cofigured properly. well... just do it again.. it only talkes a few min