Unix E-mail

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by AEagleX7, Feb 5, 2003.

1. AEagleX7 macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2003
    I was wondering if there is a way to check POP mail in the terminal. possibly a Unix app. etc.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I have no idea, but I am curious as to why you would want to check your mail via the terminal? If your running the terminal that means you are in X, and if you are in X you have Mail.app...just curious :confused: :)
  3. AEagleX7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2003
    LOL i am still confused about X and all that so i was just curious.
  4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    There are many many ways to check mail in the terminal. The 'mail' command will read mail sent to your OS X user account.

One of the most common apps for pop is pine, which may be installed by default, or may be part of the fink package (fink.sourceforge.net).

On top of thoses, I'm positive there are many others.

However, checking mail graphically makes sense, so you should prolly focus on exploring areas which are better suited to the terminal.

Check out macosxhints.com for many neat things for which the terminal is well suited.
  5. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    POP via the terminal

Let's see... it's been a while, but something like this:

telnet mail.wherever.com:110
    USER <username>
    PASS <password>
    RETR <msgNumber>

To send mail:

telnet smtp.wherever.com:25
    MAIL FROM: <email address>
    RCTP TO: <email_address>
    subject: Hi! You've got new mail!
    <CR> (you need carriage return to begin body)
    This is my great email message and I will end it with a line that only has a period on it.
  6. AEagleX7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2003

but another dumb question lLOL...sorry newbie here
    what is :110 for after mail.whereever.com
  7. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    Re: thanks

the port number. 110 is the pop3 default. 25 is the smtp default.
  8. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    PINE is probably my favorite. I hope that by X you mean OS X and not X11. Go to fink.sourceforge.net and install it and then you can use pine, elm, or probably a bunch of other mail mta's

Why would you want to use the terminal window to check mail, you could connect to a remote machine and check your mail from there. You could log into your os x machine from someone else's computer and have your pine settings already set up and check your mail. There are a bunch of reason.
  9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    One reason to use command-line methods to access e-mail hasn't been mentioned. With shell-level e-mail commands, you can use shell scripts to automate e-mail actions. Spammers do this kind of thing, but I'm talking about legitimate uses. I've written a shell script, for example, that takes the results of a database search, converts it to a spreadsheet CSV file, and e-mails it to the person who requested it. With GUI e-mail apps, AppleScript can probably be used to do the equivalent, but shell scripts and command-line apps have the advantage that they can likely run on other Unix platforms too.