Unix Executable File

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by cmn, Apr 21, 2004.

1. cmn macrumors newbie

Hello,
    We recently installed Mac OS X with all the updates on one of our client's computers. The OS runs great, however, there is an old Quark file that we're trying to open from a network share. We have the Mac OS X version of Quark installed (I forget the version number at the moment) and its running fine.

When we try to open this old Quark file, its shows as being a "Unix Executable File." We've tried transporting it to another Mac running OS 9 and we have the same issue.

Now, I'm not thoroughly familiar with Macintosh systems but I would think that simply "changing the extension" (in windows talk) of the file would allow Quark to recognize and open the file properly? Or, is it possible that this is a virus?

Any suggestions? We would greatly appreciate any help you can give us.

-cmn

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Changing the file extension would be a good first step, I don't remember what the quark extension is tho. Just adding it should wipe out any previous extensions, just to be sure, control click the file and select "Get Info", see if it has a hidden file extension. While you're in there, after you get the system to stop thinking it's an executable, change the "Open With" to Quark...

paul